PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scriptonic

(scripto)
Jun 12, 2013
I love me some nightcap. If you do decide to give it a whirl grab your smallest pipe and some chocolate. If you aren't used to nic heavy blends it may put you on your butt. Some sugar will help, hence the chocolate.

Pick up a tin and let us know what you think!

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
1. Current Nightcap is still an exceptional blend

2. As some has pointed out already - Nightcap may be strong when compared to other English blends, but it is nowhere as a strong as the burley/DFK/Dark Air Cured tobacco. I would give like most others 3 out of 5 in terms of Nicotine

3. GL Pease makes some exceptional English/ Balkan blends and Quiet Nights / Westminster are the ones to try out. In general all GL Pease Latakia blends are exceptional

4. There are other exceptional Latakia blends, but too much choice probably won’t help at this point
Not a fan of the current Nightcap. It was one of my "go to" blends along with Dunhill My Mixture 965, before Murray went bye bye in the early 2000's. As for Pease, I agree, he makes exceptional English and Balkan blends, Charing Cross, Westminster, Caravan and Samarra to name a few; although I am not the biggest fan of Quiet Nights. His best latakia blend, IMO, was Raven's Wing--unfortunately no longer made after the Syrian latakia burned up in a fire at C&D a number of years ago.

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
Nightcap, to me, is almost like a compulsory "must try at least once" kinda blend. Whereas some people advise new smokers to take time learning packing techniques, cadence, drying, etc before attempting Virginias, Latakia blends offer newer smokers detectable flavors quickly, and without requiring the same level of skill to "tease out" nuances. And what's more, Nightcap is a ribbon cut, which can be easier for a newbie to pack and keep lit.

Nightcap was my first nirvana smoke; in a Savinelli 673. So I'm biased, but with reason, I think.

@Relax62 see if you notice a flavor/strength difference between the first few bowls of your freshly opened tin vs a week or two later. Nightcap is interesting like that.
I think actually english blends are way easier to handle then aros are for a beginner. I am a novice and I still have trouble turning aros to Grey ash. But if my cellared english NC or em it's so easy. Although it has a very strong taste which could turn new smokers off. But with the handling english are much easier at least for me as aros or vaper...

And as a cigarette smoker u got with em or NC you get for once the nik hit that makes your cheeks numb . You feel it.

Reactions: Relax62 and yanoJL

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I like a bunch of earlier posters didn’t find nightcap that potent in nic, medium, what it is strong in is taste, smoke tar grime bitter soot from the high Latakia. I think it’s strong tasting, but not too strong, I like it…

my mixture 965, Old Dublin, have Cavendish thrown in it to mellow the flavour at tad, but nightcap would probably still work.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
UPDATE!!! I received my tin of Nightcap, along with a few other English blends (based on some feedback from some of you), also received a couple of Perique blends. So, I think I’ve found my niche… I love the Perique and English blends… they will be my ‘go to’ daily smoke!!! As for all the aromatics that I’ve ordered since getting back into pipe smoking… I’ve discovered that I do enjoy them, if smoked from a meer, or clay pipe (also just recently purchased).

As a relatively new piper… I’ve learned so much from many of you, and finally I am really looking forward to every smoke, learning more, and relaxing!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
UPDATE!!! I received my tin of Nightcap, along with a few other English blends (based on some feedback from some of you), also received a couple of Perique blends. So, I think I’ve found my niche… I love the Perique and English blends… they will be my ‘go to’ daily smoke!!! As for all the aromatics that I’ve ordered since getting back into pipe smoking… I’ve discovered that I do enjoy them, if smoked from a meer, or clay pipe (also just recently purchased).

As a relatively new piper… I’ve learned so much from many of you, and finally I am really looking forward to every smoke, learning more, and relaxing!
@Relax62 Have you got any photos of your clay pipe?
The Clay King would like to see it!

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I love Nightcap but I always pack a small bowl.

I second a tin of Plum Pudding in your cart sometime soon. If you want to branch out a bit, you might also like Sutliff's Revelation Match.

Reactions: Relax62

mike wheelock

Lurker
Mar 13, 2022
eastern washington
smoking some nightcap as we speak. only been smoking pipes about a year but have found nightcap to be very enjoyable. tried topping a bowl of nightcap with some 5 brothers a couple of nights ago....cant remember much after finishing that bowl. have to be a little more cautious next time.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Nightcap, to me, is almost like a compulsory "must try at least once" kinda blend. Whereas some people advise new smokers to take time learning packing techniques, cadence, drying, etc before attempting Virginias, Latakia blends offer newer smokers detectable flavors quickly, and without requiring the same level of skill to "tease out" nuances. And what's more, Nightcap is a ribbon cut, which can be easier for a newbie to pack and keep lit.

Nightcap was my first nirvana smoke; in a Savinelli 673. So I'm biased, but with reason, I think.

@Relax62 see if you notice a flavor/strength difference between the first few bowls of your freshly opened tin vs a week or two later. Nightcap is interesting like that.
Agreed, really enjoyed the first tin of Nightcap and have ordered 3 more!

Reactions: yanoJL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I dove right in with Nightcap while it was still under the Dunhill label, though I think the same blenders are producing it despite the name change.

It is higher nicotine, and I sat on the front porch at night and smoked a larger chambered pipe. I did get a little light headed, but I just went to bed, and the buzz wasn't bad.

But you want to give it a chance and not dislike it, so get a full meal under your belt, and drink some water, and if you have any doubts, use a smaller chamber pipe. It has a good robust taste and a harmony of flavors. I think you'll enjoy it if you give it a fair chance.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Nightcap is pretty good. That was my second toe dipped into English after Stokkebye English Luxury. I found there to be nicotine in the tin, but as a heavy cigarette smoker at the time, it was enough to notice but not enough to concern me.

I liked Nightcap and all keep a tin around, but that's one I'll look for in bulk (a Match or something close enough).

Reactions: Relax62