PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Been wondering how one should go with so called semi-aros on which casings have been applied such blends like as Erinmore, St Bruno,Amphora Red full or some G&H Lakeland offerings,for the best outcome, do you prefer leaving them drying prior to smoking or whether do You enjoy them right the way they come, as for the undersigned, I'm quite sensitive to tongue bite so my preference is letting them even aromatics tobaccies drying at least for 15-30min, but at the same time I have come to realization that aforementioned like tobaccies tend to deteriorate tastewise if dried too much,
Best Greets, Paul

I think it is still like anything else in this hobby, left up to personal choice. I like my Erinmore dried, and I still get that flavor, but it balances better with the tobacco. Since they revamped the blend with less nicotine, I am not as fanatical about this one as I was when it was a stronger leaf with flavors.

And, no amount of drying will kill the lakeland essence, IMO.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I think it is still like anything else in this hobby, left up to personal choice. I like my Erinmore dried, and I still get that flavor, but it balances better with the tobacco. Since they revamped the blend with less nicotine, I am not as fanatical about this one as I was when it was a stronger leaf with flavors.

And, no amount of drying will kill the lakeland essence, IMO.
Aboslute true Michael ^^¨ ^^^^^^

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I dry every blend to about the same semi bone dry consistency. Bob's Chocolate Flake, ennerdale, G&h rum Flake. I dry them the same way I'd dry any other blend and find the added flavorings still present and enhancing the natural tobacco flavors. I've tried on occasion to keep some things with more moisture but I lack the experience or finesse to keep it lit and free of gurgling and everything just tastes watered down.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I think if I might be so bold to speak, that everyone will agree this is just a Personal Preference, that you should just experiment with, because in doing so, you will truly find what you like best.

Funny, in a good way, how you just made this post today, because at this moment I am also on this Drying Discovery Journey.

Smoke straight from the tin
Put some in the bowl to dry
Leave some out to dry
Vary dry time hours, maybe even dry a day or two, or longer.

Play, learn and see, it’s what I’m doing, and I believe it will only make you into a finer connoisseur of Pipe Tobacco. :)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Been wondering how one should go with so called semi-aros on which casings have been applied such blends like as Erinmore, St Bruno,Amphora Red full or some G&H Lakeland offerings,for the best outcome, do you prefer leaving them drying prior to smoking or whether do You enjoy them right the way they come, as for the undersigned, I'm quite sensitive to tongue bite so my preference is letting them even aromatics tobaccies drying at least for 15-30min, but at the same time I have come to realization that aforementioned like tobaccies tend to deteriorate tastewise if dried too much,
Best Greets, Paul

I would let those blends dry for 20 to 30 years.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
the main issue is if I do not leave any given blend to air at least for 15 min I will eventually get tingle on my tongue,
but in all probability this is due cuz I haven't mastered slow smoking mood, yet, what is nice to learn today I can smoke(properly dried) bright virginias without suffering too much, and Yes I do not own filtered pipes as per se, one or two Savinellis with 6mm balsa inserts, although I have to notice my go to blends(especially when at work) are mainly Burley forward basic OTC blends,

Reactions: chopper

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
the main issue is if I do not leave any given blend to air at least for 15 min I will eventually get tingle on my tongue,
but in all probability this is due cuz I haven't mastered slow smoking mood

Smoke a Cigarette Smoke a Cigar Sip a Pipe... ;)

Be the turtle, not the rabbit, slow and steady wins the race. ?

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Since they revamped the blend with less nicotine, I am not as fanatical about this one as I was when it was a stronger leaf with flavors.

I scored several tins of Erinmore from a local B&M several years that I date from the late 2000s ("made in Belfast" tins, but Danish sticker, so I assume early Danish manufacture with remaining tin stock). That stuff is really strong, and I need to be careful where and when I smoke it. And it's fantastic

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I dry everything out throughly with the exception of Lakeland’s scented blends. I will rub them out well, but like a little bit of moisture in them still. That said, I just got a Murray’s erinmore plug. Any advice from someone who knows this version on how to tackle it?

Status
Not open for further replies.