PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
@JimInks

I looked and looked, so i'll just ask for everyone, in your reviews you says "just under medium nic hit", "taste is a step above medium".

So what is mild, medium and strong to you? Could you give us one or two examples of each mild, medium and strong for taste, nic hit and whatever for readily available tobaccos that most people have smoked?

Example:

Newminster 400 is a mild taste.
Capstan Blue is a medium nic hit.

Things like that? I've always wondered and as they say, the only stupid questions are those that aren't asked. I know it's all YMMV but the comparisons would help for a matrix of your reviews and thoughts.

Last edited:

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
@JimInks

I looked and looked, so i'll just ask for everyone, in your reviews you says "just under medium nic hit", "taste is a step above medium".

So what is mild, medium and strong to you? Could you give us one or two examples of each mild, medium and strong for taste, nic hit and whatever for readily available tobaccos that most people have smoked?

Example:

Newminster 400 is a mild taste to compare with.

Things like that? I've always wondered and as they say, the only stupid questions are those that aren't asked. I know it's all YMMV but the comparisons would help for a matrix of your reviews and thoughts.
He'll no doubt provide a great answer and I don't know the state of things on the website (and quit looking at the thread here awhile ago, lol) but I used to get an idea for how that translated for me by seeing how he described it and other things on the Tobacco Reviews website for various blends I was familiar with and sort of developed a feel that way.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
To echo HawkeyLinus, I've learned over time through reading Jim's reviews how his tastes relate to mine. As such, I find his reviews useful in that through his descriptions, I can almost determine whether or not I will like something. While this is not always the case, it is pretty accurate most of the time. I really can't say that for anyone else. For instance, I know that when Jim says something has a medium nic hit, for me that means medium plus.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
He'll no doubt provide a great answer and I don't know the state of things on the website (and quit looking at the thread here awhile ago, lol) but I used to get an idea for how that translated for me by seeing how he described it and other things on the Tobacco Reviews website for various blends I was familiar with and sort of developed a feel that way.
Thanks, Jim.
To echo HawkeyLinus, I've learned over time through reading Jim's reviews how his tastes relate to mine. As such, I find his reviews useful in that through his descriptions, I can almost determine whether or not I will like something. While this is not always the case, it is pretty accurate most of the time. I really can't say that for anyone else. For instance, I know that when Jim says something has a medium nic hit, for me that means medium plus.
Thanks, Jim.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Ok, it sounds like you're using Jim's reviews wrong. He's nothing is not incredibly consistent in his reviews. Over time many of us learned to use his reviews as a baseline. Once I found what he calls bold, and levels of boldness, I was able to translate that to my own tastes. Same with nicotine, repeatable, supporting, probably a few others. Just read along while you're smoking the blend.

Tom-202

Lurker
Jun 23, 2023
@JimInks

Example:

Newminster 400 is a mild taste.

Exactly. Thus the essential problem with reviews — no alignment or calibration with taste buds. Be so much better if reviews could say ‘this is like xxx but different in yyy way.’

Reactions: Chasing Embers

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Same here Jims reviews have helped
Me make a lot of cellar stocking decisions and first time purchases as his reviews align with my tastes and requirements 99% of the time.
Im a heavy nic user and his ratings
Are dead on for me with medium being medium or slightly over.

Status
Not open for further replies.