PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
Are there any Ashton experts out there? I have a pipe that I believe is a 1983 (first year) Ashton. Looking for confirmation.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
If true that’s a remarkable rarity. RD Field, who would know, says Taylor only made 31 pipes that year.

Reactions: smokeymo

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
I know the pipe was purchased as an estate pipe in 1996. It doesn't have a number marking after the "Made in England". It is an Old Church, not sure if he was making those in his first year.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I know the pipe was purchased as an estate pipe in 1996. It doesn't have a number marking after the "Made in England". It is an Old Church, not sure if he was making those in his first year.
Pipedia says first year pipes have no finish stamping.

The first pipe was made in 1983. From this year and at least up to 2002 pipes were stamped with a suffix number after the origin "Made in England". It starts with no. 3 in 1983 and continues counting up to no. 25 in 2005. First year pipes were stamped with simple block lettering and did not include a finish stamping. The origin on first year pipes was stamped "MADE IN LONDON ENGLAND". There were only 31 pipes made in total in 1983, which means they are quite rare and sought by Ashton collectors

P.S. I'm not an Ashton expert, but pictures of the pipe and all stampings would be very helpful.

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
Pipedia says first year pipes have no finish stamping.

The first pipe was made in 1983. From this year and at least up to 2002 pipes were stamped with a suffix number after the origin "Made in England". It starts with no. 3 in 1983 and continues counting up to no. 25 in 2005. First year pipes were stamped with simple block lettering and did not include a finish stamping. The origin on first year pipes was stamped "MADE IN LONDON ENGLAND". There were only 31 pipes made in total in 1983, which means they are quite rare and sought by Ashton collectors
Apparently there were a couple years in the mid-90s where there was no stamping either.

Reactions: solideogloria86