PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
Hi everyone, I was wondering about a situation I recently encountered. I opened a 2-year-old tin of Mac Baren Golden Extra which I like to call "Burginia" because it's a Burley forward tobacco with Virginia added. To me it is a wonderful tobacco and I love the tangy, honey, fruitiness from the Virginias to balance with the Burley.

I liked it so much I ended up picking up 8 oz of it in bulk and I noticed that it did not have that same fruity tanginess to it, it was rather bland.

My question is, is the bulk blend bland because it's bulk as opposed to tinned, or is it because the Virginias were able to age for a couple of years? I'm assuming the bulk is new.

I jarred up the bulk and hopefully after a few years it will get better. Thanks for answering my questions!

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Id say a combination of the two - one was aged 2 years (which definitely plays a role) and one was tinned vs. bulk.
Sometimes bulk blends can vary from their tinned versions. I would think storage plays the leading role - pounds of bulk are simply stored differently than tobacco inside a 2oz tin. Although the differences may be subtle, I think they're still there in some blends.
Just my .02

Last edited:

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
Thank you guys for the feedback. I'll just jar it up and give it a couple of years and see where it's at. Luckily I have three tins from 2020 so that should last me a while.