PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sidehatch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
So I found in my old man’s pipes this unsmoked meer. From Turkey I guess from label on stem and obtained at some point in 1980s. No clue if it’s unsmoked cause he didnt like meers, or thought it was too pretty to smoke. No clue. He’s been gone for 20 plus years and I can’t get an answer. I see on the forum folks smoking meers and I have seen some real beauties. Im been looking at getting one of my own, but I realize I have one right here. I’m been kicking around stuffing this thing with some baccy, but wanted first to get some input from forum.

From my casual glance, this is just another meer. It is unmarked except for a sticker that says it’s from some city in Turkey. I’m pretty sure this isn’t some rare find that needs a spot on antique roadshow. im totally fine putting fire to thing is my guess. So that’s my plan unless someone says bad idea.

next question on my list is there anything special I need for a meer. Another piper I was talking with locally told me I should put beeswax on it to help it color? I haven’t seen that here on the forum but maybe I missed it. Again. My thought is load it. Next step is spark it. No prep required.

last wonderment is what do I smoke out of it. I know I can smoke whatever I usually smoke in it but I’m starting to have pipes I dedicate stuff to. I have definitely struggled though with VA based blends getting some mild bite. Little frustrating actually. Enjoying aros and English blends with no probs. Would a meer be a good way to slow the VA bite or it doesn’t matter. Load it with what sounds good and enjoy.

I overthink things obviously, but I appreciate the input from other members. Thanks in advance.
E49C1833-417A-46E4-BC50-09F60E3B7C2A.jpeg04AFF8A1-4953-4209-88A7-F1D1D8832F25.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
That's certainly a beautiful meer but there's no reason not to just smoke it the same way you would any pipe. Wax is not necessary and, IMO, would take away from that particular pipe's aesthetics.

As far as choosing a blend, if it were my father's pipe my only criteria would be to choose a blend I particularly enjoy so I could enjoy the pipe all that much more.

Sidehatch

Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
Careful, sitting that long without being smoked a meerschaum can build up flammable and explosive sepiolite. Proceed with caution.

whoa. What? This isn’t a newbie meet at the 14th green at midnight for best putting advice thing is it and I’m soaked by sprinklers? Just kidding. Thanks for heads up.

sooooooooo . . .wipe it out with something? Load it and hope my face doesn’t explode? Suggestions? Or nothing really. Roll the dice?

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Yeah, I'm quite sure that was a joke. Yours is carved in the shape of the "calabash" pipes, which have a meerschaum or clay bowl set into a body made from an African gourd, but yours is all-meerschaum. The carving is the Turkish-created "lattice" style. It's a lovely no-name 1970s meerschaum. Load 'er up with your favorite leaf and puff away. Just don't let the cake get thick (not as thick as a briar) and never dig down into the heel with a pipe knife.

jerry

Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Meerschaum smokers have various ideas about waxing. Some use beeswax and apply it to a warm or hot pipe as they smoke it. Generally, it improves the patina, and it “could” help it to color quicker. Though, the coloring comes from inside … out. And yes, waxing and polishing the meerschaum is a final stage of the creation of the pipe.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Chasing Embers answered this question Jerry ages ago and I think even sawed a meerschaum pipe down the centre to illustrate his point. You can wax them if you want but it really doesn't do that much other than give you a waxy pipe. The only way to color the damned things is to smoke the piss out of a pipe, again Mr. Embers has an excellent pipe to illustrate the point. I really don't have a dog in this discussion since someone over 100+ years ago colored my pipes for me. That being said I have had a few 19th century specimens that have not been smoked to death that I have slowly colored and posted on here. Enjoy your pipe and think of your Father whilst smoking it as I am sure he would approve.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@Chasing Embers answered this question Jerry ages ago and I think even sawed a meerschaum pipe down the centre to illustrate his point. You can wax them if you want but it really doesn't do that much other than give you a waxy pipe. The only way to color the damned things is to smoke the piss out of a pipe, again Mr. Embers has an excellent pipe to illustrate the point. I really don't have a dog in this discussion since someone over 100+ years ago colored my pipes for me. That being said I have had a few 19th century specimens that have not been smoked to death that I have slowly colored and posted on here. Enjoy your pipe and think of your Father whilst smoking it as I am sure he would approve.
I've smoked this one very often. Quot counting after 500 over the past year and a half. It's just starting to take its true coloring around the jaw bone.

20220312_192035.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Yep. I have a similar situation with that meerschaum 'cutty' from the 1890s I picked up from David Shaine about five years ago. At three hundred bowls down it is just starting to color. You know 130 years ago you could hire someone to do the smoking/color job for you. Trust me I have thought about asking @weezell or @Chasing Embers to take one or two of my pain in the arse meerschaums on loan to get the coloring under control ;)