PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
I don't know if this is even possible or realistic, but my goal is this: Let's say I am wondering about VaPer. Before I go down a TAD rabbit hole for VaPer, it seems I should try the 'quintessential' VaPer that almost anyone that likes VaPer blends would say represents that genre well. So for argument, that might be Escudo and if I don't like that, maybe I should assume I just am not going to like VaPer before assuming I need to try every VaPer blend out there.

The main genre groups I am interested in are (I am going to list my own idea of what the quintessential blend might be):
VaPer: Escudo
VaBur: Tilbury
VaOr:
English: Squadron Leader
Scottish: Old Dublin
Balkan: Plum Pudding
Straight Virginia:

So take this and fill it in with what you think best represents that genre (if you feel another group needs to be added, feel free)...won't always be what you like best in that group, but what you know almost everyone that appreciates and likes that genre would say best represents it. The blend should also be fairly readily available (so don't put Penzance as Balkan for instance).

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
I forgot Burley. I would probably have listed Aged Burley Flake in my list, but I don't have a lot of burley experience so not saying it represents quintessential. Tell me what you think belongs in any group though if you have an opinion on that group.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I forgot Burley. I would probably have listed Aged Burley Flake in my list, but I don't have a lot of burley experience so not saying it represents quintessential. Tell me what you think belongs in any group though if you have an opinion on that group.
Taste is too subjective to classify blends as quintessential. My favorite Virginia/Oriental, though heavily stocked in my cellar, hasn't been available for years, and nothing in modern production even comes close to it.

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
I agree dquisenberry, that is probably the best indication of what is most popular in each genre type. Thanks for that.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Quintessential is a term thrown around the pipe community too often and usually just means that the particular blend that person finds the most palatable out of the specific family of leaf.

The benchmark in any category will be different. Let's start with the Va/Per: Escudo. Just about everyone has heard of it and perhaps tried a variation of it. Dunhill/Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls is very similar in taste and PS Luxury Bullseye Flake is similar in style but far from taste, in my opinion. However, I would put DNR on the savory side of Va/per and PS LBF on the sweeter and greener side, more in tune with PS Luxury Navy Flake. Yet I don't consider these Va/Pers the quintessential blends in my book. I think GL Pease Stratford is my quintessential Va/Per even though it contains hardly any perique (just a whisper/pinch). Even then, I'd rather smoke GL Pease Fillmore anyday over DNR or Escudo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Quintessential suggested to me not the best of the best, but an especially good example of a standard type. I'm not defending this interpretation, or misinterpretation, just saying that's what I thought of. Something unique and wonderful might not be, probably isn't, quintessential. The quintessential college professor would have some typical flaws as well as typical qualities.

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
Great feedback. Reading troyniss reply makes me realize that what I am trying to do with this information may be folly. I'm sure it is possible for me to not like Escudo, yet like Bullseye Flake. Same with saying Squadron Leader represents English...I'm sure there are too many variations in what gets labeled an English and it could be as simple as a blend that is sweeter for instance that draws me to it or sends me away from it. I am afraid my logic is just flawed on where I started out with this post. My logic was that if I tried what most represents the genre and liked that, only then would I sample other popular blends in that genre. If I tried the quintessential blend and hated it, the logic was that I would not keep going down the path of that genre at all. Again...probably folly. Besides, TAD is not so bad in the grand scheme of life!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.