PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
SWR tobacco has gotten so expensive that it's now priced like a premium import. Plus, no one seems to have the 12 oz. cans and the 7 oz. ones are almost as expensive as what the 12 oz. were a short time ago.

Enough is enough! I'm launching a one man boycott of SWR. For years SWR has been my standard change of pace smoke when I want a break from my favorite English blends. No more. So, I looking for a substitute. Anyone know of a good blend that is similar to SWR but is available in bulk and doesn't cost and arm and a leg? Any suggestions would be appreciated. puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's not the same recipe, but you might like C&D Mountain Camp available in bulk.

Silvrbdgr

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2023
Navarre, FL
I've found that I like Prince Albert just as much. Similar "nutty" taste, plus some undertones of chocolate. And if you haven't done so, go to their website. I signed up and finally got some $3 off coupons in the mail.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Man you know times are rough when SWR is being sold at a premium price. LOL
I haven't had SWR in years, but I found it most enjoyable in my cobs. Same with Granger, so maybe try Granger as a substitute or as already mentioned Sutliff Ready Rub. Neither are the same of course, but both will work for a nice change of pace tobacco. I'm definitely not a fan of Prince Albert. Probably the worst tobacco I've ever smoked. I recommend staying away from that tobacco, but that's my opinion.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Man you know times are rough when SWR is being sold at a premium price.
“Premium price” is debatable. If you buy by the pouch, 3oz of SWR are still cheaper than 2oz/50g of just about any premium tinned tobacco you could name.

If price is really the determining factor, I noticed that my local gas station sells Largo Pipe Tobacco, a shag that’s apparently also popular for RYO. You can get a full pound for $12. I can’t imagine that it would compare favorably to SWR, though.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Agree, it's too expensive now for what it is. I liked the cut of SWR - cross cut similar to how the pouches of Prince Albert and Carter Hall were. Makes it easier to scoop-fill the bowl. I've been looking for other tobaccos with a similar cut to try.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Somewhat off-topic, but: I can’t help wondering where these sizes came from for some of these blends. Seven ounces? Twelve? Why not an even half-pound and pound?

Many of the tubs were 14 ounce so I can understand 7 ounce being half-sized. But Granger and SWR and Velvet et al were sold as 12 ounce tubs by STG.

I agree. 7 ounce is odd. But “7” is an odd number and pipe smokers an odd lot.

Reactions: rmbittner

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I’ve cellared enough of Granger’s 12 ounce cans that I shall never suffer the purchase a 7 ouncer ☝️😎

I honestly believe that SWR and Granger share the same base. Topped differently.

Take your pick.
I hear a lot that Granger can be bitey, while I've never heard that about SWR. Any idea why that is? That's the only thing that's kept me from buying a can.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Every tobacco blend is expendable. Move on to the next. I mean, it's not like they are cutting off my supply of Marlboro Gold (Light). But! I already have few back brands :)
If camels stopped production, I'd survive with Luckie strikes. However I wouldn't be happy about it.

I've been preferring inexpensive bulk tobaccos. Even what I call expensive or high quality tobaccos, are seemingly cheaper or close to Carter hall, which used to be my favorite every day blend. I've moved on since learning there's better stuff.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I hear a lot that Granger can be bitey, while I've never heard that about SWR. Any idea why that is? That's the only thing that's kept me from buying a can.

I’ve heard that from many. Some have described it as a “tasty mouthful of wasps”. However, that’s a personal chemistry situation. I’ve never found anything smoother than Granger.

Yes, spending $18 to $20 for a 7 ounce tub is a bit steep to find out you dislike it. There are places online selling it by the ounce.

No shortcuts on the road to discovering your favorites. I’m afraid we’ve all been there.

I now enjoy a handful favorites and am essentially done with buying more. I’m usually disappointed when I do.

Reactions: Lumbridge