PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I found this old plug cutter and I had to snatch it up. It set me back 40 bucks but I just love this thing. The fact that it's from NC sealed the deal. Taylor Brothers is still in business but we know them as American Snuff Co. Some of the old paint survived and I will be restoring it to it's original black. It will be a few weeks before I get started on it since I have 7 pipes I'm preparing for restaining but that's another thread.
I want to thank @rustiepyles for the inspiration. I knew where this piece lived and after his post on the Yankee cutter I made an offer on it.
So here she is. I'm thinking black with gold lettering and maybe the raised edges of the horseshoe, for lack of better words. 20230228_161233.jpg20230228_161215.jpg

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Very nice! Those No. 2 cutters were actually manufactured by Griswold Manufacturing (cast iron pans). But they almost always have the name of a tobacco company and retailer embossed on them, every once in a while you can find one that actually says Griswold.

The ridges and letters would have been painted gold when it was new.

Can’t wait to see it all painted up and choppin plug again.

I’ve restored a few of these if you need any info shoot me a PM.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Very nice! Those No. 2 cutters were actually manufactured by Griswold Manufacturing (cast iron pans). But they almost always have the name of a tobacco company and retailer embossed on them, every once in a while you can find one that actually says Griswold.

The ridges and letters would have been painted gold when it was new.

Can’t wait to see it all painted up and choppin plug again.

I’ve restored a few of these if you need any info shoot me a PM.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I know I'll have questions along the way.