PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I saw a guy smoking a pipe in the wild once too. He was driving a truck. It was in the city. It also happened to be IPSD which I figured must explain such a freak occurrence. Other than that, I've only seen a couple other pipe smokers at the local cigar club, but I avoided eye contact with them. Didn't want to spook them or anything.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Was he a hipster? Only two people that I know other than myself is my son and his roommate. Other than forum members.
Some hipsters I’m sure smoke pipes, but i always think it’s going to blow up one day with them, like 1 in 3 start smoking, but not yet that I’ve seen. Most of the pipe smokers I’ve seen, about 10 in the last 10 years are middle aged or older gentlemen with aros and no name briars, not like people here who smoke Orlik Golden sliced in brand name pipes…

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Some hipsters I’m sure smoke pipes, but i always think it’s going to blow up one day with them, like 1 in 3 start smoking, but not yet that I’ve seen. Most of the pipe smokers I’ve seen, about 10 in the last 10 years are middle aged or older gentlemen with aros and no name briars, not like people here who smoke Orlik Golden sliced in brand name pipes…
I'm sure some of those gents keep their better pipes and other blends at home. Number of members carry pipes they don't mind damaging and blends that won't tick off strangers.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
not like people here who smoke Orlik Golden sliced in brand name pipes…
All of my pipes go wherever I do and the majority of mine are commissions, meerschaum, or both. They're just pipes.

Five other pipe smokers where I work, and on the rare occasion that we cross paths if a pipe is lit no words are spoken. We're more interested in the tobacco than socializing.

Just yesterday, I had to run to the courthouse for a thing, and passed a guy smoking his pipe out front. I made sure to fire up my pipe as I walked back out, we nodded. I didn't want to engage him, just in case he was work release or something, ha ha.

But, we have quite a few pipesmokers in this part of Alabama. I see them so often that it more becomes odd to hear how you guys react when you do see another pipesmoker "in the wild."

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Here in Louisville (aside from higher smoking rates, which accounts for a likely slightly above avg per capita pipe smokers too) we have the "southern Baptist seminary" which is like the largest Baptist bible college in the whole damn world. I've heard the president there smokes a pipe - therefore many of his acolytes mimic his ways.
They're easy to pick out when the come through the shoppe.
We've even had a hand full over the years smoke with us. There's one in particular that spits. A spitter.
🤮

Anyway.. yes it's always fun to encounter another in public.