PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I just got a pipe that is unsmoked from the 2000s. The stem is rattling due to the tenon and mortise not having a tight fit. I was thinking of stuffing a paper towel in there, but is there a more permanent fix to this?

I hope you are all having a great Thanksgiving week.

Dyakoff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2022
Ukraine
I just got a pipe that is unsmoked from the 2000s. The stem is rattling due to the tenon and mortise not having a tight fit. I was thinking of stuffing a paper towel in there, but is there a more permanent fix to this?

I hope you are all having a great Thanksgiving week.
A lot of nail polish would be a better solution than a paper towel.
I’m a big fan of nail polish, cause it was the only thing that helped me. My stem was not “rattling” but it was kinda “spinning freely”

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Bees wax is good for the rattle if it’s not dramatic. You could also heat the end of the stem and push it down on a flat surface mushrooming the end ever so slightly. It should tighten it up. If it’s to much mushrooming take a pice of Emory or 5000 grit to knock it back down a bit. Careful with the inside mushrooming.

Reactions: anotherbob

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I would suggest dont do anything until you have smoked it a dozen times.
Assuming it was ok when new and no one has messed with it,it would suggest the mortice has dried out.
smoking will rehidrate it.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I agree with the smoke it and see if that helps. Only had one pipe with a loose fit and I thought I'd have to do something about it (though I did find out I can catch a falling pipe through instinct and reaction) after a few smokes it's fit perfectly. If that doesn't help then try something else.