PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Swede74

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2021
Uppsala, Sweden
I read somewhere that Rattrays and Peterson are clones? Peterson CC and Rattrays rower bridge for example is the same recipe!
Anyone’s how knows?

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I don't think so, Rattrays is produced at K&K in Germany, Peterson by STG in Denmark. That the blends are considered the same could be true, as is with 965 and Red Rapparree to me is the case, but I don't think they are copies.

Reactions: Swede74

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Iremember reading that K&K produced the Peterson blends before they moved to STG and yes they continued to make them under different names.
Just need to find the information now

here we go,from tobacco reviews

Rattray - Wallace Flake (Flake Collection)

EDIT THIS TOBACCOFAVORITEWISHLISTSUBSCRIBED
We would describe 'Wallace Flake' as the Holy Grail among the flakes. Try these extraordinary creation, and you will know why we stick out our neck that far. Virginia tobaccos, whose color ranges from golden to chocolate brown, were combined with sun-dried India and finally refined with a very fine plum aroma.
Notes: After K&K lost the Peterson range to Mac Baren, they did not want to waste their recipes. They tweaked them a little and simply renamed the old Peterson line to be re-released under the Rattray's label: Malcolm Flake being Erinmore Flake; Sterling Flake being Irish Flake; and Wallace Flake being University Flake.
Brand

elsewhere

I've heard a rumour that Peterson's lost their license to the old recipes.

Apparently it's now in the hands of Rattrays. If you care to, you can go and have a look over at 4noggins and check out all the new Rattray blends:

Wallace Flake = University Flake
Macbeth = Sherlock Holmes
Red Lion = Old Dublin
Sir William = Irish Whisky
London Eye = Nutty Cut
Tower Bridge = Connoisseurs Choice
Royal Albert = Luxury Blend
Westminister Abbey = Sweet Killarney
Union Jack = Sunset Breeze
Buckingham = Gold Blend
Strirling Flake = Irish Flake

Swede74

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2021
Uppsala, Sweden
Iremember reading that K&K produced the Peterson blends before they moved to STG and yes they continued to make them under different names.

We would describe 'Wallace Flake' as the Holy Grail among the flakes. Try these extraordinary creation, and you will know why we stick out our neck that far. Virginia tobaccos, whose color ranges from golden to chocolate brown, were combined with sun-dried India and finally refined with a very fine plum aroma.
Notes: After K&K lost the Peterson range to Mac Baren, they did not want to waste their recipes. They tweaked them a little and simply renamed the old Peterson line to be re-released under the Rattray's label: Malcolm Flake being Erinmore Flake; Sterling Flake being Irish Flake; and Wallace Flake being University Flake.
Brand

elsewhere

Apparently it's now in the hands of Rattrays. If you care to, you can go and have a look over at 4noggins and check out all the new Rattray blends:

Red Lion = Old Dublin
London Eye = Nutty Cut
Buckingham = Gold Blend
I was out and smell in my tins and for sure there is some similarities but their is som differences as well.
Tanks!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015

Brand

elsewhere

Red Lion = Old Dublin
London Eye = Nutty Cut
Buckingham = Gold Blend
It would be nice if tobacco reviews attributed a source to that information.

Reactions: Streeper541
It would be nice if tobacco reviews attributed a source to that information.
I have been hearing this since I saw Wallace Flake start to become available here. I believe it is pretty widely known. @paulfg is dead on. Just like the Bingham tobaccos were all direct copies of the Dunhill blends when they were pulled from the market briefly, decades ago.

Reactions: garageboy
I don't think that ALL of Rattrays blends are clones. But, obviously some are. I don't think anything about this is scandalous. It happens all the time. Companies also will sometimes have other companies make a certain blend for them. It's not like they are counterfeiting money.

I do think that some of these aren't "exact" copies. I'm pretty sure that different manufacturers will add some proprietorial casings and such. When STG took over many blends the taste changed in most, if not all of them. Different sources for tobaccos, different regions, casings, etc...

And, no, for my world and regional news, I wouldn't rely on tobaccoreviews. puffy

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I don't think that ALL of Rattrays blends are clones. But, obviously some are. I don't think anything about this is scandalous. It happens all the time. Companies also will sometimes have other companies make a certain blend for them. It's not like they are counterfeiting money.

I do think that some of these aren't "exact" copies. I'm pretty sure that different manufacturers will add some proprietorial casings and such. When STG took over many blends the taste changed in most, if not all of them. Different sources for tobaccos, different regions, casings, etc...

And, no, for my world and regional news, I wouldn't rely on tobaccoreviews. puffy
agreed
Notes: After K&K lost the Peterson range to Mac Baren, they did not want to waste their recipes. They tweaked them a little

Reactions: cosmicfolklore