PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well yes but it's my understanding that logs just like these (but longer) are what the Escudo-size coins are cut from. The metal cylinders used to form them are the same.
That’s correct, the coins are slices from the log.
The shape may be the same, but the ingredients are not. One of the things I loved about the A & C Petersen branded Escudo was how it developed as it aged. In particular, the white pepper of the Perique mellowed into a ripe fruitiness. This is no longer the case. The blend doesn’t develop much at all. There’s not much point to aging the STG version.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
K&K makes Director's Cut, which contains small coins. Peter Heinrich's Curly Block was a log, and that's still the format after STG took over production of it. A&C Petersen brought over the original Escudo equipment when they took over production from Gallaher, and it went to Orlik when they took over before going to STG, who subbed out pretty much everything in it, a couple of times now, and the current product isn't Escudo. It's something in a tin with the name Escudo on it.
Is Orlik part of STG? Excuse the ignorance, I thought they are separate. I thought Orlik and STG are the only manufacturers who can make large coins, while MacBaren, Gawith and K&K offer cut logs as curlies (there’s a MacBaren video kicking around showing the machine they use, it makes about 50cm long logs), with Gawith being the only place which can make real rope tobacco.
I thought Dan Tobacco can make logs, but now checked and Roper’s Roundels are made by Orlik in fact.

Reactions: kurtbob

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Is Orlik part of STG? Excuse the ignorance, I thought they are separate. I thought Orlik and STG are the only manufacturers who can make large coins, while MacBaren, Gawith and K&K offer cut logs as curlies (there’s a MacBaren video kicking around showing the machine they use, it makes about 50cm long logs), with Gawith being the only place which can make real rope tobacco.
I thought Dan Tobacco can make logs, but now checked and Roper’s Roundels are made by Orlik in fact.
I think that the Orlik factory was bought by STG.

Reactions: kurtbob and karam

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Once upon a time, Orlik and STG were separate companies. STG bought Orlik. When it comes to coins, I have no idea who has what level of equipment.

Reactions: karam and kurtbob

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I can see where it would be a real pain. Something you love changes and you didn't cellar it. How about the tobacco you don't like,? What if it changes and gets better??? You'll never know. Why retry a tobacco you didn't like when there is so much stuff out there.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
It's all so hard to track because these factories can also at times be contract manufacturers for each other. For example "made in Denmark but tinned in Germany." And to make matters more complex K&K not only manufactures many blends but they are also the distributor for some things made by others.

Reactions: kurtbob