PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
Years ago I made a tamp from the tapered end of a stainless steel Hilti concrete insert bolt. Cut off the threads, ground a nice edge, drilled a hole and looped through a leather thong. Still rides in my console and used regularly. What made me think of this topic was yesterday when looking in my late father's junk drawer and there was a spent, brass 308 casing. A perfect tamp even though quickly his finger prints will be replaced with mine and the primer will be ringed with ash.
What neat tamps do you use?

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
No repurposed tamps but i did save the cork last night from our champagne for a cork knocker :wink:

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
@OTD - Be careful with anything galvanized as a heat releases the zinc that is the primary part of "galvanizing". There are great nails, called spikes, at Home Depot and not galvanized, that I often thought of shortening to use as tamps--a true "pipe nail". My foggy memory seems to recall that term but not sure ...

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
My favorites! I am not worried about the heat, as many of us use our fingers to tamp. I fear the gasses released by my fellow pipers more than that from my nail tampers!

DSC_0369.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
My favorite thing to re-purpose for tampers are pipes-- chop off the bowl,make a pick for it and attached a brass tip. The one on the left though was made from a can opener.

lady-grabow-0131-600x424.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.