PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
Got some of those nice fancy long matches. Rotate the cigar near the flame while puffing on it to draw heat and maybe some fire to kiss the tobacco. This is what I end up with most of the time.
PXL_20230506_171032129.jpg
Is there some mystical secret technique, am I doing things entirely wrong. or do I just need more practice (this being my lucky 13th cigar)?

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Got some of those nice fancy long matches. Rotate the cigar near the flame while puffing on it to draw heat and maybe some fire to kiss the tobacco. This is what I end up with most of the time.
View attachment 220200
Is there some mystical secret technique, am I doing things entirely wrong. or do I just need more practice (this being my lucky 13th cigar)?
I don't even draw when lighting them. I hold and rotate them above a flame at an angle until an even part of the edge is lit around the full circumference of the cigar.

white-4.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
it could also be the cigars you are smoking too. I have had the same issue. What seems to work for me is too use two matches and not the long ones (those never go well for me) make a v with them so the not burning ends are touching. Strike one of the matches so it light the other. Let it make a bigger flame. And then proceed like normal. No clue what works better about that then making a flame of the same size with one match..

Reactions: Coreios

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Just use a cheap torch lighter, keep it away from the foot and move it around in a circle and the heat will light the cigar, blow on the end (the cigar version of tamping) so that the burn evens out across the foot and enjoy. i know almost no one that bothers with wood matches, splints, or any of that other stuff, just use a torch lighter.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
How far where you into the cigar at the point of the picture? If you where in like 2 inches you cant blame that on the lighting. Can be a construction issue you can correct easily.

I use torch lighters for cigars and prefer single flames to be more precise. I light the lighter and move the cigar closer to the flame untill I see combustion, so I dont overheat the cigar. I move the cigar around and turn it untill I think the leafs are all burning. Then I blow on the foot of the cigar to check if I see a full glowing ember. If thats the case I draw on the cigar and turn it around while still toasting it. In that case I get at least a even burn, when construction isnt what it should be you can get cases of tunneling, uneven burns, canoeing and so on.

AJL beat me to it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm only an occasional cigar smoker, but I've never run into an extreme unevenness on the lit end like that.

I wonder if it could be your preparation of the end you put in your mouth. If that were irregular enough to affect the draw, it might cause the uneven burn.

In the past, I've used one of those basic plastic cutters, but in the last year or so, I've had a nice all-metal cutter that takes off the tip of the bit end very evenly. Either way, I've never run into the problem. Just a thought.

Or, it could be the cigar is poorly rolled and the draw is off.

I'd prefer a match for the softer flame, to get a careful even burn started.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I am no expert on cigars, but I have lit quite a few over the years. I have gotten pretty good in my own technique.

Use a torch lighter. With cigar in hand, light in a circular motion around the outside of the end as the middle will light easily. When it starts to burn, then put it in your mouth and draw for an additional circle or two. Works every time I have tried it.

If the cigar burns unevenly at that point, it was rolled wrong. Buy a better cigar.

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
How far where you into the cigar at the point of the picture?
Most of the way down, but dealing with the uneven burn for most of the smoke.

I wonder if it could be your preparation of the end you put in your mouth. If that were irregular enough to affect the draw, it might cause the uneven burn.
Here's the cutter I'm working with. Always kinda seems like it ends with a slight angle in the mouth-end, but I haven't paid enough attention to see if there's a correlation between that and which side of the cigar burns more.

Next cigar's gonna either be in a long-distance relationship with Grandad's Ronson (from his cigarette days), or the v-formation matches sounds pretty good too.
Thank you once more, O brother sages.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Torch is quick and easy and great if you need a little touchup without ever physical flame from touching the stick, sucking flame into cigars just overheats the first inch or so of tobacco which everyone has an opinion on how much that changes the taste. I just like torches because again, fast and easy and good for touchups.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
View attachment 220200
Cigars can burn and "canoe" as we used to say as kids for other reasons, could be the wrapper, could be a soft spot in the roll, it could be many things, but most people will touch up the canoe before it get's that bad.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Torch is quick and easy and great if you need a little touchup without ever physical flame from touching the stick, sucking flame into cigars just overheats the first inch or so of tobacco which everyone has an opinion on how much that changes the taste. I just like torches because again, fast and easy and good for touchups.
The Beattie doesn't have to touch the cigar much like a torch but the soft flame has less risk of scorching.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Cigars can burn and "canoe" as we used to say as kids for other reasons, could be the wrapper, could be a soft spot in the roll, it could be many things, but most people will touch up the canoe before it get's that bad.
The oil content is also a factor. Maduros are notorious for it.