Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
For starters, don't use a reamer. Get yourself some fine glass paper or sandpaper, wrap a bit of it around a fat Pilot marker, rubber band it in place, and then carefully sand down the cake.
Ahhh, now that makes sense. I actually ream my briars regularly. And I usually wipe down a meerschaum with a baby wipe or a wet paper towel after each smoke. But I’ve let one get away from me. Thx for the info.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
As people said here, I tend to go with fine sandpaper wrapped around my finger.

I think removing all cake from a meer is personal preference at this point as many here have pointed out that cake doesn't seem to interfere with the coloring progress, for me i like to keep them down just because i don't want to lose tobacco volume =D

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I ream my meerschaum like a caveman with a flint arrow head. Seriously. I know I have to be careful, but it builds so quickly and it's satisfying to see it go away. I've gouged my meers more times than I care to admit. I now pour water into the bowl for a few seconds to soften it. Then less force is needed to ream. Just did this last night.

Reactions: Lucashly and dctune

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I don’t recommend that others do it but I use a letter opener. Essentially a long, slightly dull knife blade. Obviously going slowly and carefully lest I pay the price. Meers are pretty tough, within reason.

I’d done the sandpaper thing in the past but needed something more aggressive on one of my meers that builds cake ridiculously fast. Wiping with a paper towel after each smoke isn’t enough to keep the cake at bay on that one.

Now I use sandpaper wrapped around a dowel to remove the last few hundredths of cake, or on my meers that build cake slowly and don’t need the blade.

Reactions: dctune

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
Gonna do this tomorrow, the sandpaper method. My Kiko got some ghosted cake in it, need to get rid of that.

I’m promise I won’t Google anything about porcupines. Seriously. I swear.
You don't have to, I'll tell you what I know. When mating, the female lays her tail up on her back covering the quills. The underside of the porcupine tail has no quills, so the male gets a soft cushion to protect his belly. Which allows him to act not so slowly and even not so carefully. Actually, porcupines mate very quickly but repeatedly.

Reactions: Lucashly

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
If you wipe down the chambers with a paper towel on any pipe just after smoking, you’ll only develop like 1mm or a slightly thinner carbon layer, which is all you need.

Then you never need a reamer.

It’s my understanding you don’t need a cake build up in a Meerschaum. I read it’s not beneficial and interferes with the Meerschaum. Maybe the Meerschaum pros can shed some light on this. 🤔

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Or, just don't build cake. That is done by scooping out the ash after each smoke and wiping out the bowl with a slightly abrasive paper towel. This will maintain a thin carbon layer but never require reaming, and works with briar and other woods as well as Meerschaum. It maintains the diameter of the chamber. I don't own a reamer. You'll only need a reamer for estate pipes that haven't been restored.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you wipe down the chambers with a paper towel on any pipe just after smoking, you’ll only develop like 1mm or a slightly thinner carbon layer, which is all you need.
Until it develops into a thicker diamond hard carbon porcelain layer that a blade can't cut.

It’s my understanding you don’t need a cake build up in a Meerschaum. I read it’s not beneficial and interferes with the Meerschaum. Maybe the Meerschaum pros can shed some light on this
I've not noticed one way or the other.