PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nerdgirlpipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2022
New York
I was in Chicago 2 weeks ago for Lollapalooza and stopped by Iwan Ries. It was my first visit there and everything about it makes me want to go back and visit soon. We were greeted and attended to by Douglas, impeccably attired in a suit and smoking BCA out of a Dunhill. He positively lit up when I told him I was there for pipe tobacco. I was able to sample some of their house blends (Three Star Banner and Distinguished Gentleman). He pulled out trays and trays of estate pipes for us to peruse. And we chatted animatedly about my preferences in pipe tobacco (aromatics). All in all, we spent well over an hour in the store and I ended up purchasing tins of Bob's Chocolate Flake and Evening Stroll as well as splurging on a Castello KK Opera pipe. Our experience ended with a tour of the smoking lounge. I highly recommend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I spent time in downtown Chicago as a teen and college student, and walked by Iwan Ries many times there on Wabash, but never went in. Cameras were my obsession then, and I didn't smoke. However, I've been an IR customer online for many years now, have bought a number of pipes from them, and some tobacco, and most recently a sampler of cigars, a variety pack of a dozen "dog walkers," small cigars but not cigarillos. i'm smoking one at the beginning of each month this year.

IR has a vast inventory of pipes, so their online selection and their paper catalog barely scratch the surface. If there is something you are looking for, give them a call. I think their inventory is about 15,000 pipes.

IR is sort of the mother church of pipe shops, dating back to 1857. They own the building, but moved upstairs to lease out the expensive street-level retail space. Smart business. I loved the Nat Sherman shop on 42nd St. in NYC for its size and atmosphere and attentive staff, but IR is far older and has outlasted the now-closed Nat Sherman. IR is a real pilgrimage for pipe smokers. Not everyone's "thing," but I love their old classic aromatic blend Three Star Blue.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I was in Chicago 2 weeks ago for Lollapalooza and stopped by Iwan Ries. It was my first visit there and everything about it makes me want to go back and visit soon. We were greeted and attended to by Douglas, impeccably attired in a suit and smoking BCA out of a Dunhill. He positively lit up when I told him I was there for pipe tobacco. I was able to sample some of their house blends (Three Star Banner and Distinguished Gentleman). He pulled out trays and trays of estate pipes for us to peruse. And we chatted animatedly about my preferences in pipe tobacco (aromatics). All in all, we spent well over an hour in the store and I ended up purchasing tins of Bob's Chocolate Flake and Evening Stroll as well as splurging on a Castello KK Opera pipe. Our experience ended with a tour of the smoking lounge. I highly recommend.
Lollapalooza was awesome , I was just down in Chicago again for the scene boat party on the lake . Iwan reis is a fun and maybe mandatory place to stop in if you staying downtown or river north area…. pipe prices are pretty high, but it’s a cool ass place that does have some great tobaccos for sale, I don’t mind dropping some money there . Some fun pics from Chicago lake scene . And yes I did smoke 2 pipes with the young people , they were entertained by my pipe . Me in blue shirt . 50B7C374-2C89-4A83-9803-248EBBBDCDF3.jpegE83335E2-D20D-4D02-ACEC-6B9F04C9DB80.jpeg

nerdgirlpipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2022
New York
I spent time in downtown Chicago as a teen and college student, and walked by Iwan Ries many times there on Wabash, but never went in. Cameras were my obsession then, and I didn't smoke. However, I've been an IR customer online for many years now, have bought a number of pipes from them, and some tobacco, and most recently a sampler of cigars, a variety pack of a dozen "dog walkers," small cigars but not cigarillos. i'm smoking one at the beginning of each month this year.

IR has a vast inventory of pipes, so their online selection and their paper catalog barely scratch the surface. If there is something you are looking for, give them a call. I think their inventory is about 15,000 pipes.

IR is sort of the mother church of pipe shops, dating back to 1857. They own the building, but moved upstairs to lease out the expensive street-level retail space. Smart business. I loved the Nat Sherman shop on 42nd St. in NYC for its size and atmosphere and attentive staff, but IR is far older and has outlasted the now-closed Nat Sherman. IR is a real pilgrimage for pipe smokers. Not everyone's "thing," but I love their old classic aromatic blend Three Star Blue.

I miss Nat Sherman. I remember that being a beautiful store. But IR won me over and I will stop buy whenever I am back in Chicago, for sure.

Nicolasylvain

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
France
I'm sure the store is wonderful and I wish them the very best as a B&M establishment, really. On the phone they are charming.

But the online store is two decades out of date and the customer service by email? Zilch, nothing or barely crap on a good day.

Too many reliable alternatives out there.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I'm sure the store is wonderful and I wish them the very best as a B&M establishment, really. On the phone they are charming.

But the online store is two decades out of date and the customer service by email? Zilch, nothing or barely crap on a good day.

Just ordered some tins from them, eventually got an email then a couple days later tracking. Can’t fault then for being old school and their focus being on the physical location, old school that’s all, part of me is surprised they are doing online at all.

nerdgirlpipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2022
New York
Just ordered some tins from them, eventually got an email then a couple days later tracking. Can’t fault then for being old school and their focus being on the physical location, old school that’s all, part of me is surprised they are doing online at all.
I’ve ordered from them once online and my experience was totally fine. While there are cheaper and possibly more reliable e-comm options, IR does have stuff in stock that others don’t. Such as Solani, Gawith Hoggarth, etc. it’s part of my rotation of sites I visit when I’m looking for something in particular.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I’ve ordered from them once online and my experience was totally fine. While there are cheaper and possibly more reliable e-comm options, IR does have stuff in stock that others don’t. Such as Solani, Gawith Hoggarth, etc. it’s part of my rotation of sites I visit when I’m looking for something in particular.
I definitely have no problem with them, found a tin I’ve been hunting for and bought 10, i do a lot of business with Boswell as well, I’m used to buying Cuban cigars, so 2 or 5 dollars more a tin for something i can only get from them is like nothing really, comparatively so, plus i like to support the little guy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's true, different online retailers offer somewhat different inventories and emphasize different brands, and have discounts on particular items. It pays to make the rounds regularly on at least of few of the major retailers. Some of my sites have fallen away for one reason or another, and I have discovered others, but it's good to keep three or four in sight.

A window shopping habit is useful when I finally get around to buying something.

Reactions: dunnyboy

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
IRC has been my store of choice since almost day one with a pipe. Kevin is quick to ship, he emails when shipped and a phone call is always convenient and courteous. A few years back they were a sponsor of this site. Over a century and a half means they understand what it takes to be a success ... customer service.

???

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
1st time in Chicago 2021 and it was a pleasure to visit IRC. I was hoping for more House Blends, but I did pick up some Cigars and SG. For me it's L.J. Peretti for House Blending and my 1st Love (summer trips in the 80's) when I stated to smoke a Pipe in 1980.

Razorback

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2019
Atlanta, GA
My first and only visit there two months ago was a good one. My work hotel was a two minute walk away, so there was no excuse not to go.

Spent about 30 minutes there and the three gents were very friendly. They did have some friendly fun over my Georgia accent. They could tell from my first words that I wasn’t local. ?

Walked out with a couple of tins, and taxes weren’t as bad as I was bracing for. My out the door cost for a tin of Dunbar and a bulging older tin of Castello Fiammata (a C&D Va/per, I think) was 40 bucks.

Reactions: dunnyboy

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast

Cool more for us ?