PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

felix Cappuccio

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2021
Give glp-his odyssey a try as well as his sammara two of his best English also give jm Boswells northwoods a try fine tobacco's.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Based on what you’ve said and availability/cost - another round of support for Nightcap.
Agreed. The man said he can't get a fair number of the blends being suggested, so suggestions should be related to what is available to him. If the OP will give us a list of companies he has access to then more realistic suggestions can be offered.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
I really appreciate the willingness to help.

I have ordered some Nightcap as that appears to be the general trend of things. Have read up on it a lot and it seems like it will fit the bill. If it doesn’t work out I’ll stick it in jar (see, I’m learning) and try something else.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
Thank you all.

I have read much about Mr Pease’s blends but have unfortunately not been able to find any.

Consensus seems to be that Nightcap is a contender? I’ll see if I can get a sampler before getting a full tin.

The Proper English might be attainable, I’ll ask the tobacconist as they stock other Stokkebye offerings.

What are your thoughts on the EMP? My only concern with Nightcap is the perique, which I have very limited experience with.
I believe tobaccopipes has GLP on sale as we speak

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
I’ll be closing the loop on this thread over the next couple of days.
I’ve managed to get my hands on some Nightcap, and as a bonus some Plum Pudding and Early Morning Pipe (just because it has always intrigued me).

I had the opportunity to have a bowl this afternoon and chose to go with the EMP, as I wanted to leave the Nightcap for when I have a lot of time on my hands.

To say I enjoyed the EMP a lot would be a massive understatement. As mentioned, it is not very strong in the flavour department, which forced me to really slow it right down and get small sips, and really focusing on the smoke to detect the flavours. Now maybe my palate is not as well developed, but I got a lot of different flavours out of this. Not strong, but enough to make you savour it, and then go back for another small sip to see if you can get another hint of whatever that was, and then to find a few more.

It’s not what I was looking for when I started the thread but I am glad I have a tin of it now.

I’ll update as and when I get to try the other two.

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
While certainly not an English in the strictest sense, if you want to try something outside of the Latakia camp but still want to get your smoke on, you might consider MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired, as it will definitely meet the criteria for something strong and flavorfully satisfying. With great flavors and being easy to smoke, it's a beautiful expression of dark-fired tobacco that gives me a big smile every time I smoke it.

Reactions: Skapie

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
If you like Oriental-forward Latakia blends, then Rattray's Red Rapparee may hit the spot?
Yes, definitely Rattray's Red Rapparee, although it can be hard to find in the USA between shipments. My other go to is Arango Balkan Supreme.

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
Currently halfway through a bowl of Nightcap.

It is… interesting.

I made sure to dry it to my liking before packing a Pete 314 (small bowl for tasting purposes).

First light had a very bitter taste. Perhaps the flame scorched the tobacco. Once that disappeared the flavours started coming through in a big way.

I am unable discern which is which, except for the latakia which is there. I do taste something that reminds me of the most flavourful cigars I’ve ever had. While I’ve never read of cigar notes in any of the reviews, this is not an unpleasant surprise.

I can feel the perique more than taste it, but there is a taste there that my brain is itching to identify as perique. It’s certainly not as spicy as the blending perique I’ve experimented with.

All in all, I’m happy. While I’m not blown away with the flavour, there certainly is enough of it to satisfy me. I’m not hunting for anything in the smoke.

My wife does complain about the “room” note, even though I’m sitting outside.

I think it’s the perfect smoke to take along on a camp (which we do quite a bit of, at the least once a month), to have next to the fire after everyone’s eaten their fill, and the kids are settled, and my only company is the good company I choose to keep during my precious times away from the city.

Reactions: JimInks

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
Thanks Brendan!

So, the final one of the three, the Plum Pudding.

I must admit the tin note on this one had me salivating.

This is my second bowl, one that I made sure to not rub out too much, and to let it dry a tad.

As with my first bowl of this, I am underwhelmed. Perhaps the tin note made me expect too much. Easy to smoke too fast, which then results in loss of flavour for the next couple of minutes, which is frustrating. And then when you get it going again at a reasonably slow pace, the flavours are there but less strong than I expected.

It’s certainly not bland or boring, don’t get me wrong. I like it.

But it doesn’t scratch the itch quite like Nightcap does.

(As an aside, my old faithful basket pipe got a polish with some carnauba wax today and I find myself frequently taking the pipe out of my mouth purely to admire how well it cleaned up)

Reactions: Brendan

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I’m glad to hear that you’ve been able to get some of the suggested blends. I would also second (or third) the suggestion of MM 965 if it is available to you. It is an English I enjoy a lot.

Reactions: Skapie