PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Hello,
I am looking for some recommendations for a “Scottish Mixture”. I prefer to smoke english blends 99% of the time. However, I tend to enjoy the blends that have a bit of sweetness to them like John Bull and others. I recently tried a John Aylesbury english and loved it. However, for the days when I am looking for a bit of sweetness, I am drawing a blank. The goal is to find an english blend with a light aromatic flavor not a goopy blend with a sprinkle of latakia... help!

I appreciate your suggestions!

fihbkyle

Lurker
Dec 28, 2020
South Dakota
Rattray's Red Rapparee is pretty good stuff. And there's a match blend of MM 965 that is tasty as well, and a good value in bulk.

Accountant's Mxt too. It gets some mixed opinions, but I've always enjoyed it.

I may be toeing the "goopy blend w/ lat" line here, but Bear Blend from Boswell's seems to have a cult following. One odd-ball suggestion, feel free to ignore! ?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Any Rattray's, really. Jock's, Highland Targe, 3noggins, red rapp...

Just exactly what a "scottish mixture" is can be unclear, I take it to be a light or medium english or balkan style with the addition of some kind of cavendish. That's pretty wide open. Mac Baren calls their "Mixture" a "Scottish Blend" but I mean, it's a thousand miles away from what I think most of the industry would aim at for that title. So I dunno.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
OR... if you really want to go sweet there's always the Mac Baren road. Mixture Scottish Blend skips the latakia altogether and just goes with the burley and cavendish. Not a traditional Rattray-style Scottish to be sure but the Danish version.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I've always understood a Scottish mixture to be an English mixture (I know, no one knows what that is either) with unflavored Cavendish added to stretch out the blend without using the more expensive tobaccos......because us Scots are thrifty.

Rattray's Black Mallory, Highland Targe and 3 Noggins are good places to start. The Highland Targe is the most aromatic (naturally with Oriental and Latakia rather than some additive) and Black Mallory is the best balanced, and to me, the archetypal Scottish mixture. 3 Noggins has more sweetness to it than the others, kinda like a sweet stout.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Any Rattray's, really. Jock's, Highland Targe, 3noggins, red rapp...
Just exactly what a "scottish mixture" is can be unclear, I take it to be a light or medium english or balkan style with the addition of some kind of cavendish. That's pretty wide open. Mac Baren calls their "Mixture" a "Scottish Blend" but I mean, it's a thousand miles away from what I think most of the industry would aim at for that title. So I dunno.
Figuring out what a “Scottish Blend” is, is part of the battle. I like a local shop’s “English” but it clearly has some cavendish but no added topping. John Bull’s Royal English has a sweetness to it but is considered an English. Then, some labeled Scottish mixture tins have no latakia, a bunch of added flavors and a clear example of an aromatic. I am lost as well.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I don't know if it's strictly a Scottish mixture (which I think of as an English mixture with cavendish added), but I think Sutliff CA-100 is excellent (I'm a Margate/Nightcap smoker). It's sweet, rich and smoky. I'm not sure what it's history is; as far as I can tell it's a 2020 introduction.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
My favorite Scottish blend so far is Rattray's Red Rapparee. Black Mallory is also good, but it is a darker and sweeter blend, where Red Rap is zesty and more Oriental forward to my tastes, which I prefer. Both blends have unsweetened, European style black Cavendish, and are more traditionally English than lightly aromatic, so YMMV. Been meaning to try Blairgowrie, but haven't yet.

In terms of Latakia blends with a light topping, Bengal Slices/Fusilier's Ration are both quite tasty. G. L. Pease's Maltese Falcon and Blackpoint are both excellent and have a touch of something extra.

Reactions: beefeater33

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I've also become a fan of a good English with a bare hint of sweetness. To that end I've been enjoying Aperitif, Davidoff Scottish Mixture and 4th Generation 1882 Founder's Blend. You won't mistake any of them as a goopy aro.

Status
Not open for further replies.