Recommendations for Moving Away from Aromatics.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
Have you tried any of the Gawith Hoggarth tobaccos? To me they generally have a depth and concentration of basic tobacco flavor that surpass many others. They use Malawi in many blends, and dark fired tobaccos, too. Their aromatics are highly aromatic, so if it's a lack of flavor in general that you're experiencing from your regular stuff, maybe you'll appreciate the change to something stronger, flavor-wise. Bob's Chocolate Flake, Brown Flake Aro, or perhaps Brown Twist for a non-aro. Also, I second the recommendation of Old Dark Fired. For a burley based aro that has some nice coffee undertones, maybe try Sutliff Voodoo Queen.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe something with cigar leaf like GLP Key Largo. C&D Billy Budd has cigar leaf but is strong.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Thanks. I have not tried it in a good while, but it's got a thick, "oil-like" flavor (best way I can describe it) that I really dislike and don't think I could ever get accustomed to. I still remember the tin of Blue Note I got once that almost made me sick it had so much of. But when I just went and read the description for Blue Note, they are calling it "silky black cavendish" and not latikia.

One of the reasons I've always stayed off the non-aro blends is because I've never been able to fully understand these elusive terms (without spending a lot of money, anyway). I actually dumped out the Blue Note, the FM, the Presby, and many others before I stopped buying tins and started exploring more aros. The only thing I've ever liked that was in a tin was called Erinmore and it was in little sticks I have rub into crumbles to get into my pipe. A friend hated it and passed it along to me. I realize for someone who has been smoking pipes for around 17 years I should know more about this: but rather than geeking out on all the details, I've always just wanted to smoke a pipe.
You tossed Presbyterian and Frog Morton? I don’t think you actually enjoy pipe smoking, sir.

In all seriousness, it will take time and effort and money for you to find the tiny niche in which your tastes apparently reside. As others have said here, buy buy buy tobacco and try it.

As far as the black tobacco you see in blends, it could be almost anything. It could be Latakia, it could be cavendish, it could be stoved Virginia. Don’t run from black tobacco, it might end up being your friend.

My recommendations based on your request for “coffee, earthy, raisiny” flavors are as follows:
HU Makhuwa
Ken Byron Ventures (KBV) Burly Morning Pipe
Watch City Cigar 558 Flake
KBV Voodoo Tour
Bob’s Chocolate Flake (contains Latakia so maybe not this but also, based on your original post, maybe very much this)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
What's wrong with aromatic? They are yummy, and might attract pre-smoking age kids to flock to it, but I don't see any issues. But if you want to try something different, definitely go with Latakia blends. It's easier to form you opinion on them. VA are sorta hard to pick out all the nuance at first. So are others. Latakia will either slap you in the face and say "get off my cloud!!!". Or you will fall in love.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As I've probably said too often, don't buy too much of anything even if you love it. Your tastes will change. Buy in small quantities for a few years, an ounce or two of bulk, one tin, one pouch.

All this will give you a range on what you like, and when it ceases to please, or just for an expanded experience, move on to something else.

Reactions: Sam Gamgee

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I'm going to reiterate some recommendations already given but...

Savinelli Jupiter
Mac Baren HH Burley Flake and HH Old Dark Fired
Cornell & Diehl Old Joe Krantz (regular brown label and blue label)

Reactions: Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
What's wrong with aromatic? They are yummy, and might attract pre-smoking age kids to flock to it, but I don't see any issues. But if you want to try something different, definitely go with Latakia blends. It's easier to form you opinion on them. VA are sorta hard to pick out all the nuance at first. So are others. Latakia will either slap you in the face and say "get off my cloud!!!". Or you will fall in love.
Absolutely nothing wrong with aromatics. I’m just not getting much out of them anymore.

Reactions: jbfrady

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Absolutely nothing wrong with aromatics. I’m just not getting much out of them anymore.
I had a couple friends branch out this year beyond straight aro's, while I myself began to incorporate more of them into my lineup. For this reason, I've got 2 recommendations specifically aimed to help narrow down your palette.

1 - Capstan Yellow. Capstan was Tolkien's favorite brand and it would seem he flooded himself with Capstan all day long and if you try it, you'll see why. Simple, flavourful, and because of the firmly pressed flake, you can pack it different ways to get different smoking experiences.

2 - Seegar, by Caribbean Blue. This one is an aromatic, but it's a lighter flavoring than many others and it's on a bed of quality leaf by the same company who produces many of the classic blends seen today, Kohlhase & Kopp.

It's unlikely that either will go on to be your absolute favorite, but trying them will give a fair indicator of what to try next.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
As I've probably said too often, don't buy too much of anything even if you love it. Your tastes will change. Buy in small quantities for a few years, an ounce or two of bulk, one tin, one pouch.

All this will give you a range on what you like, and when it ceases to please, or just for an expanded experience, move on to something else.
Yes, buying 1 oz. samples of bulk blends from SP will let you try a large variety of blends with the minimum cost. Even with all the good suggestions here, it will still take some time and effort to find what you like.

Reactions: FLDRD and jbfrady

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
Sam,

I think Capstan is a nice suggestion, though it may be a bit mild.

To attend to some things:

You say you don't like the black tobaccos citing Presbyterian, Frog Morton and Blue Note, while smoking aromatics up until now. That makes me wonder if there's not two ingredients you are trying to keep away from: latakia and the cavendish Dan Tobacco (Kohlhase & Kopp) uses.

You mention blends being too strong, does that mean nicotine?

I would sample some C&D blends from bulk but not too many at once. I think a lot of their bulk needs to sit for a few months or they run the risk of being a little harsh and even too similar unless they have some time to open up.

What I would do:
Either Capstan
MacBaren Old Dark Fired*
GH&Co #7 ribbon or North Star
GH&Co Brown flake
Sutliff 507-C
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake or Bullseye
One of C&D's Haunted Bookshop*, Pegasus, Cube Cut Burley*

... And find some cross over C&D blends that offer some flavoring but also an interesting tobacco forward varietal mix, such as Redburn, Jolly Old St. Nic (never tried myself), or Dreams of Kadath (this one has a lot going on, somewhat intense).

Ken Byron's Coffee Burley blend is really getting suggested a lot and will be something we both ought to think about trying.

*Yellow flag nic strength warning.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Sam,

I think Capstan is a nice suggestion, though it may be a bit mild.

To attend to some things:

You say you don't like the black tobaccos citing Presbyterian, Frog Morton and Blue Note, while smoking aromatics up until now. That makes me wonder if there's not two ingredients you are trying to keep away from: latakia and the cavendish Dan Tobacco (Kohlhase & Kopp) uses.

You mention blends being too strong, does that mean nicotine?

I would sample some C&D blends from bulk but not too many at once. I think a lot of their bulk needs to sit for a few months or they run the risk of being a little harsh and even too similar unless they have some time to open up.

What I would do:
Either Capstan
MacBaren Old Dark Fired*
GH&Co #7 ribbon or North Star
GH&Co Brown flake
Sutliff 507-C
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake or Bullseye
One of C&D's Haunted Bookshop*, Pegasus, Cube Cut Burley*

... And find some cross over C&D blends that offer some flavoring but also an interesting tobacco forward varietal mix, such as Redburn, Jolly Old St. Nic (never tried myself), or Dreams of Kadath (this one has a lot going on, somewhat intense).

Ken Byron's Coffee Burley blend is really getting suggested a lot and will be something we both ought to think about trying.

*Yellow flag nic strength warning.
Thanks for taking the time to give such a thorough reply. When I say “too strong” I don’t mean nicotine but just an overpowering and harsh taste. Those black, licorice-like tobaccos have been present in every blend I’ve disliked. When I go in shops there will sometimes be those big jars with the in-store blends that have it mixed in. I’ll sometimes open the lid and the smell of them is enough to make me a little nauseous. I don’t buy any of those big jar blends anymore either. I’ve thrown away a lot of tobacco from those big jars.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
If you mean the black bits in Presbyterian and Frog Morton, that's latakia. (Although IMO you can't really taste it in Presbyterian.)

Different varieties and uses sometimes give flavors like campfire smoke, leather, beef jerky, BBQ sauce, or earthiness.

Often overdone, but in balanced proportion, the brisk and masculine taste of autumn to me. I like it like I like to smell the neighbor's chimney for the first time this season.

Have you tried it recently?
Mmmmm Presbyterian! Give it a try if you like earthy but not necessarily a Lat bomb. Not the OP who did not like it.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

Aromatics come in various topping strengths; light medium heavy.

Light ones can come across almost natural like, depending on the toppings.

There are so many blends out there, check out these sites below, if you haven’t bought blends from them before. ;)

Check out some of Uhle’s Burley blends.

L.J. Peretti

Ken Byron Venture’s blends

Watch City Cigar’s blends

Wilke’s blends

Maybe put Solani Aged Burley Flake on your radar, it’s quite nice, earthy, nutty, cocoa, floral....

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Thanks for taking the time to give such a thorough reply. When I say “too strong” I don’t mean nicotine but just an overpowering and harsh taste. Those black, licorice-like tobaccos have been present in every blend I’ve disliked. When I go in shops there will sometimes be those big jars with the in-store blends that have it mixed in. I’ll sometimes open the lid and the smell of them is enough to make me a little nauseous. I don’t buy any of those big jar blends anymore either. I’ve thrown away a lot of tobacco from those big jars.
You may be describing latakia, which is processed in large smokers and smells like campfire. Or dark fired kentucky, which also has a very distinct but different taste and odor. The only other possibility is cavendish which is leaf that is steamed until it's black and may or may not have added flavorings.

Last edited:

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
It sounds like you've got a preference for relatively mellow tobaccos with mild flavors, so I'm not sure jumping straight into English blends with strong tasting Latakia tobacco (which tastes much like the way a campfire smells) or Oriental tobaccos (which can vary from incensey to tangy/sour) is going to be the right way to go for you. I'd recommend a good old fashioned American style Burley blend like Cornell & Diehl's Pegasus. You'll get a lot of good earthy natural tobacco flavor but nothing too strong that would blow your taste buds out of the water. Haunted Bookshop (also from Cornell & Diehl) could be another good choice, though some people can find it a little harsh on the throat towards the last half of the bowl.

Last edited:

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
There have been several mentions of Pegasus and it got me curious. I read some reviews and one fellow said:

“A quintessential Burley blend. It's simple, nutty, smooth, and satisfying. Leaves a room smelling nice too. Pegasus is like a boutique version of Carter Hall—it's smoother, and way more flavor that doesn't fall flat halfway through the bowl.”

I really like Carter Hall but end up experiencing exactly what this fellow is talking about: it goes south about mid-bowl and ends up tasting like burnt ashes. Starts out great though. The Pegasus might be just what I’m craving.

Reactions: SBC
Sep 7, 2023
Hello! I've been quite content for the past 15+ years to smoke my aromatics, but lately they just don't taste the same. It seems like my taste is changing and I'd like to find some other tobaccos to enjoy.

To give you a hint of my palate, at least thus far, I have thoroughly enjoyed Captain Black Gold, Carter Hall, and Stokkebye's Nougat. I just got a new shipment of the Nougat and it's doing absolutely nothing for me. Not only does it not taste very good, it actually tastes bad. Maybe I got a bad batch?

Based on my past choices and how I enjoyed them, can you recommend some non-aromatics that I can move into? My taste longs for the hints of coffee, cocoa/chocolate, raisin, and almost "earthy" (dare I say soil-like?) flavors that I used to get from smoking these blends. I always enjoyed how those flavors would linger in my mouth for an hour or so after my pipe was done. Those sensations are exactly what I am after. Lately all I'm getting is a burned after taste.

Years ago I was trying all kinds of tobaccos in tins (Blue Note, Presbyterian, Frog Morton) and I didn't like anything about any of them. They were way too strong and the flavors were just too harsh. My mind still remembers those experiences and based on my memory I don't think I'd like them any better today. I have never understood the terms for different tobaccos and had no idea what I was buying. I think it's those black tobaccos that I dislike so much. I don't know the proper name for those.

Are there some "in-between" blends, something with the flavors I've descried that somewhat lends itself to aromatics while also ranging into new territory?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Check out Boswell's too. There's a lot of choices that you can try in small quantities to sample

Reactions: Kobold and SBC