PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I am a match fan. I love BICs and Zippos (btw, make sure you always spell check statements like that as autocorrect can instantly change your life). But, I did something today that I’m kind of proud of…kind of disturbed by - but, in the end can now join new lighter discussions with renewed enthusiasm.

I found a pile of “rewards” from a cigar shop I used to frequent. I chucked them in my backpack and thought next time I have the chance I’m going to swing by and see what I can get. And - since I like matches, and apparently soft flames, I looked for a soft flame lighter that I could use for a pipe.

Well, I found that they had an America hero selection of zippos the proudest Merican’s would use and a ton of rocket launching lighters. The nice guy behind the counter asked if I needed help, and I said yeah - sometimes it’s hard to tell if some of these are soft flame until you lift the lids. They aren’t marked well and some can appear similar. He said - “we got zippos.” I said, I’m not interested in your selection, but several of these could be, but I’m not an expert and some look like they may be. He said, “well, I got this one. Look, it does this…” I watched in amazement as the jet flame turned a red hue… ?.

Then I saw the Calibri’s… and asked, can you show me that one? I’m think that looks like one of the dual flame/single flame soft lighters for cigars. He said, no, that’s a torch. I said, do you mind if I see it anyway? Haha - So, ballpark on a guess was good - he pulled it out - flipped the bar and poof - soft flame. I said, I’ll take the black and silver one. ?

So, he rings it up - well over a bill with taxes… guy behind me says, wow, nice lighter. I pulled my rewards out of my pocket - set on counter and he counted. Less than $30 is now the total. Guy who said nice lighter said - “jackpot…her her her…”. ?

Anyway, dedicated cigar shops aren’t the best for finding lighters…be careful. They’re great for rewards, but if you’ve move primarily to pipes - they don’t have the accessories you are looking for. But hey, you know you aren’t getting cigars - and with a soft flame light mentality and to simply use your points. Well, I have a somewhat expensive lighter that I can now impress my cigar friends with - kind of - but also light my pipes at home. No one but the world reading this forum post knows…this Jackhole who likes matches bought an expensive lighter. ? but, with the rewards points I earned - what the hell else was I going to do with them?? Dual flame mode shown - but, single flame used on pipes…lol! It’s actually a nice lighter. I give it 18 months or less of life before catastrophic failure - but, I got to use the points before obsolete on tangible item not going up in smoke after one use. I’ll chalk it up as a win.

3D233D51-7D1E-446C-98E1-81E39F553E69.jpeg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
My friend and I stopped into Famous Smoke in Pennsylvania this past weekend. They got out of pipes and pipe tobacco because of price structuring. I guess they were blowing pipe gear out. My friend got a thin, cylindrical, soft flame Colibri lighter for 16 bucks!

Reactions: JKoD

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
My friend and I stopped into Famous Smoke in Pennsylvania this past weekend. They got out of pipes and pipe tobacco because of price structuring. I guess they were blowing pipe gear out. My friend got a thin, cylindrical, soft flame Colibri lighter for 16 bucks!
I want a refund now. Haha - not all Calibres are created equal… ?

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
If im not mistaken that is a Colibri Julius. 30 dollars is a steal, overhere they cost about 130 euros. Curious on the use of the dual softflame in this config as Kiribi also has a dual softflame but those are closer together.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
I love dick too! Err…. I mean Bic… Bic lighters! :LOL:

Nice way to redeem your rewards.
You are a champ peon. Haha. I told you. Be careful. Life changer. Watch your back - stay away from tattoos in that region.

• Haha
Reactions: hawky454

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
If im not mistaken that is a Colibri Julius. 30 dollars is a steal, overhere they cost about 130 euros. Curious on the use of the dual softflame in this config as Kiribi also has a dual softflame but those are closer together.
It is! Made in China. Designed in New York. I don’t know which bullshit is more impressive. But - nutting less than $30US for it - I’m satisfied. ?‍♂️ Although - for the rewards it means I spent… $1,000 or more US. And you bet your ass I have some tasty ass cigars on the other end. ?. The shame - this retailer represents single stick sales for me. This is retailer I used before buying boxes. Tester store if you will. They were a good friend when needed - today’s lighter purchase marks the end of an era. It’s pipes forward for me - they’ve joined the history belt.

Yeah - it’s a nice lighter. But… we earn things in different ways.

image.jpg