Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Snapper1965

Lurker
Feb 24, 2022
Is it a waste of time to relight a half-smoked bowl that you've had to set aside and then come back to?

Title edited for caps and brevity. Original above. -jpm

Occasionally while smoking, something will demand my attention and both hands for 5-10 minutes, requiring me to set down my pipe. I've yet to figure out how to relight without getting an awful, ashy taste. Dumping the contents, usually one-third or more of the tobacco is un-charred, so it's not like it's burned down to nothing. Should I just plan on dumping, refilling and lighting, or is there a salvage technique?
It depends on what tobacco you have in your pipe at the time

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome, Snapper! Why not post in the Into thread?!

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Reactions: chopper

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I agree, it's mostly trial and error as to wether your palate will enjoy day old half smoke. I have been smoking this way more recently secondary to the cold weather and they haven't been too bad. Enjoy

Reactions: chopper and jpmcwjr

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
It's rare for me to smoke a bowl straight to the end.
Often I'll look through my pile of pipes to see if there's one half filled. :oops:
Just run a pipe cleaner through and it's good to go.
I've even found a half filled bowl that's a week or two old. After the first couple of puffs it usually tastes alright.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
All the time for me.

I even bought a 4 pipe holder that holds them in a slightly canted, yet bowl "up" position - as opposed to my racks where they sit vertically.

It's used exclusively for pipes "on the go"; those that have some tobacco ready / remaining that I specifically intend to come back to. Sometimes I decide I wasn't actually in the mood for that blend after all and pick another combo.

Most will learn quickly if their particular blend in question will like or dis-like the delay. Some of mine do, others don't. But I'm big on experimenting with many variables at this point in time.

Cheers