PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GIF dumb humor practical joke explosion - animated GIF on GIFER

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe the cigar boom petered out because people heard I was smoking a few cigars these days. Or maybe the cigar industry overplayed their hand on pricing, since if you smoke a premium cigar a day, it's like imposing a tax on yourself. One tin of premium pipe tobacco gives you about twenty smokes. No wonder people are tending toward pipes. Right now I'm working on a sampler box of "dog walkers," small cigars but bigger than a cigarillo. I bought it at Iwan Ries, twelve cigars from different good brands, so I've decided to smoke at the first of each month. So far, Punch and Partagas, both impressive. If the cigar market is soft, maybe the prices will slip a little and things will be better.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
In the early '90s I was knee deep in all things cigars. I had a subscription to Marvin Shanken's Cigar Insider newsletter, was buying every cigar magazine imaginable—I was smoking at least one cigar a day. After my father died from lung cancer in 2002, I cut down significantly on cigar and pipe smoking. I've gotten back into cigars again the past year or two and I'm amazed at all the brands I never heard of that have emerged. It's a fun time to explore cigars and pipes again.

justscience

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2013
Upper Midwestern USA
I reverted back to pipes back in the 90s when my Fuentes went over $3 each and a cigar culture developed that was arrogant and showy and reactionary to anything politically correct. If the $100/stick crowd takes aim at pipes, I hope pipes can retain their present civil image. The cigar boom may have overextended itself with 5000 brands, but we now have C&D limited issue du Jour, following the same tactics.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
We're way on the far side of the peak of the cigar boom. I think the peak was around 1998 to 2001. You could smoke cigars in most bars back then. All the anti smoking movement and no smoking in bars pretty much eliminated the people who bought a handful of Opus X in order to impress people at the bar. Up scale cigar bars opening around the country in larger cities have made for a small resurgence. But it's nothing like it was. Just look at all the B&M's that have closed their doors since 2001.

Reactions: PipeIT and mso489

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Can't speak for others.

I smoked cigars exclusively for 15 years before getting back to pipes.

I still attend cigar dinners and cigar evenings at the club, although Covid has been a recent road-block to these in the past couple of years. The dinners were always well attended, sell-out events and attracts women as well.

Personally I'm enjoying smoking pipes more. I like looking for and buying pipes - cigars have a very limited range of shapes and vitolas.
And there is a far greater diversity of flavours to be got from pipe tobacco blends.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
We are in a Cigar Boom again. At TPE last week there was much discussion about the cigar industry being unable to keep up supply and quality due to unprecedented demand for cigars during the past two years. It is a real thing. SPC is also booming with both pipe tobacco and cigars. Everyone is sitting at home smoking. It will probably fade, and it is probably a "bubble", but it is real for both cigars and pipes right now.

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Maybe the cigar boom petered out because people heard I was smoking a few cigars these days. Or maybe the cigar industry overplayed their hand on pricing, since if you smoke a premium cigar a day, it's like imposing a tax on yourself. One tin of premium pipe tobacco gives you about twenty smokes. No wonder people are tending toward pipes. Right now I'm working on a sampler box of "dog walkers," small cigars but bigger than a cigarillo. I bought it at Iwan Ries, twelve cigars from different good brands, so I've decided to smoke at the first of each month. So far, Punch and Partagas, both impressive. If the cigar market is soft, maybe the prices will slip a little and things will be better.
One tin = 20 cigars ? You must be smoking some really rare tobacco, or some really crappy cigars

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. I thought 20 bowls was a fair roundhouse guess for a single 2 oz tin of tobacco, and a premium tin might cost $18 USD, about the price of a premium cigar. All this is approximate, but MRW, you say it's way off the mark. So, your computation please? Obviously, it depends on what size chamber your pipe has, maybe the cut, how you pack. How do you figure this?

Reactions: Dudditz

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I remember buying Fuentes for $1.65 . I also smoked La Gloria Cubanas regularly until they became the darlings of the noobs and I couldn't get them anymore here in Colorado. When I visited my relatives down in West Palm I would buy 6 or 8 boxes and bring them home with me. I would sell off 4 boxes and help pay for my airfare. ?