PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
Remember your first Estate Pipe? I do,because I just bought it yesterday. I dropped into the local Tinder Box to see if they had any Esoterica left (I think I got one of the last tins). This little guy caught my eye and $17 later, I took it home.
I had no idea what I bought, I just liked the shape and wanted a small pipe for quick smokes.
I got home and did a bit of research: It's a Kaywoodie Super Grain - best I can date is is between 1925 and 1936 (4 digit shape code and threaded insert). I may be way off on the date, but that is the info I can find.
I had a bit of a psychological aversion to smoking the used pipe. I really gave it a good sanitization with alcohol and just got over it.
It smokes well for the first couple bowls. Perhaps I will explore more estate pipes.Kaywoodie.jpgKaywoodie 2.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mine was a gift from a generous Forums member, a smooth bent billiard Ferndown by Les Wood. A different Forums member gave me my first Meerschaum, and a pipe smoking friend and his wife gave me a freehand Thompson Cigar house pipe, all estates. I smoke and enjoy them all regularly. Incidentally, I have a Kaywoodie Drinkless with a stinger like that one, that screws the stem to the briar, and though it is my only stinger pipe, it smokes well and the stinger takes just a second to clean. It's in the Ruff-Tone design, author shape, and has a pleasing solidity. sable' advised me on how to heat the shank with a hair dryer to square up the bit by softening the glue holding the stinger in place. Now it is just right. Most of the pipes I bought new are well-smoked and have some years on them, so in effect, they are estate pipes too, one-owner estate pipes.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Remember your first Estate Pipe? I do,because I just bought it yesterday. I dropped into the local Tinder Box to see if they had any Esoterica left (I think I got one of the last tins). This little guy caught my eye and $17 later, I took it home.
I had no idea what I bought, I just liked the shape and wanted a small pipe for quick smokes.
I got home and did a bit of research: It's a Kaywoodie Super Grain - best I can date is is between 1925 and 1936 (4 digit shape code and threaded insert). I may be way off on the date, but that is the info I can find.
I had a bit of a psychological aversion to smoking the used pipe. I really gave it a good sanitization with alcohol and just got over it.
It smokes well for the first couple bowls. Perhaps I will explore more estate pipes.View attachment 80197View attachment 80198
Superb bulldog!

My first is the Johs bent apple below. Bought it from Smoking Pipes, which means it wasn't a terrific bargain (though certainly a fair one, IMO), but I knew they would be honest about its condition and provide their usual excellent support if needed. I was very nervous about getting an estate. It ended up working out well, and I still smoke the pipe a few times a week or so. I've only bought two more, one from the great Dave Neeb at Mkelaw, and another unsmoked estate from the SmokingPipes.EU site. All my experiences have been very good. I just don't have confidence in my ability to do restoration work, so it is important to me that I buy from vendors I trust.

IMG_20210309_140123.jpg

Reactions: Reggie and OzPiper

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The sweetest estate I bought was a bent Savinelli autograph, bought for a specific blend, with a wonderfully tall, contorted bowl.

Reactions: danimalia

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I do. It was my first pipe. I was more of a cigar smoker and decided to treat myself to a pipe for my 29th birthday. Not really knowing much of anything, I bought a Stanwell bamboo estate off of Smoking pipes. I still have it and smoke it occasionally. It has some of the best straight grain in my collection. A year later I bought another estate from SPC, and then they got smoked about twice a year for the next decade or so, until 2019 when, on a whim, I added some pipe tobacco to a cbid order. And the rest is, as they say, history 4A60C6B9-7BB5-4A2D-B3ED-0327F63D7813.jpeg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I can't remember what my first estate was but I have several estates. I keep recommending it to people wanting to get better pipes but can't afford the new version of it.

Reactions: keith929
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Yes. It was a great smoker. Sadly I decided I wanted to try this weird cob mod idea. I sawed the shank off with the intention of fixing it to a cob bowl. Vulcanite stem, Briar shank, Cob bowl. This is gonna be sweet! The next day I decided it was a stupid idea and never went any further. ?

Screenshot_20210517-115659.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper