Repair 1970 Dunhill or get a new Old Boy?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Herr Doyle

Lurker
Oct 8, 2020
Germany, Düsseldorf
Hello, please i would like to know your opinion about: i have an old 1970 Dunhill Rollagas gold lighter. Its not used since 40 years almost, but it is in pretty good shape. Would you send it to dunhill official repair center (that would be like 200 dollars in total, including the instalation of pipeflame and 6 months warranty)? Or would you just take a new brand IM Corona Old boy? Thank you very much for your help!!20230703_114516.jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Herr Doyle

Lurker
Oct 8, 2020
Germany, Düsseldorf
I’d go to ARS online and fill out their request form and see what they would charge you assuming they’d had the parts. Always get more than one estimate.
Thanks for the answer! I writed them already and would be like 110-160 euros/dollars the repair+cleanup+pipeflame, and then the post shipping (that will go from Spain to Germany) could be like 200 in total. (With 6 months warranty)

The thing is, for this money i can get a new IM Corona Old Boy and im not sure about what to do.. dont know wich one could works longer, wich could give me more troubles with the years.. really dont know..

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
That or the guys on the Facebook Rollagas group who sell the kits will repair them for a fraction of what ARS gets for an overhaul.
This! Check out that FB group, very helpful. I would love a 1970 (birth year) Rollagas with pipeflame. it’s a classic piece of history and craftsmanship. Old Boys are cool, but in my humble opinion, not as cool as the Rollagas. Viel Gluck!

Reactions: Herr Doyle

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
(that would be like 200 dollars in total, including the instalation of pipeflame and 6 months warranty)?
ARS charges about $130.00 shipped back with a 1 year warranty. You should give ARS a call because as far as I know they’ve been out of the pipe flame part for the Rollagas Lighter for a few years. I think you still can get Unique Lighters converted though.

Herr Doyle

Lurker
Oct 8, 2020
Germany, Düsseldorf
ARS charges about $130.00 shipped back with a 1 year warranty. You should give ARS a call because as far as I know they’ve been out of the pipe flame part for the Rollagas Lighter for a few years. I think you still can get Unique Lighters converted though.
Yeah, they told me they have the pipeflame (thats the Dunhill ARS in Germany), im gonna send it by post directly tomorrow morning!!

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I'd repair it, though I have multiple butane lighters and I'd be more interested in the collector aspect.

However, if you want a lighter that will be reliable for daily use you might be better off with a new Old Boy. I have a Rollagas (15-20 yo) that was refurbished and it works fine, though it has bouts where it's temperamental and finicky. Adjusting the flame requires a bit of luck and muttered incantations. OTOH it's a great-looking piece that I will use occasionally. If I'm in a situation where I only have one lighter then the Old Boy gets the nod, it always works.

Reactions: Herr Doyle

Herr Doyle

Lurker
Oct 8, 2020
Germany, Düsseldorf
I'd repair it, though I have multiple butane lighters and I'd be more interested in the collector aspect.

However, if you want a lighter that will be reliable for daily use you might be better off with a new Old Boy. I have a Rollagas (15-20 yo) that was refurbished and it works fine, though it has bouts where it's temperamental and finicky. Adjusting the flame requires a bit of luck and muttered incantations. OTOH it's a great-looking piece that I will use occasionally. If I'm in a situation where I only have one lighter then the Old Boy gets the nod, it always works.
Yeah i get it! I already sent it to ARS this morning, i will post some pics when it come back, i guess are gonna take one month in be back. I wanna keep it just for home, and focused with not drop it to the floor... And for the outside i will grab just my zippo or a bic.. and i will see what happens in the next months.. hope the dunhill works fine for few years at least!! (If not, in the future i will get an Old Boy.. thats the plan i think).