Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
A while back @Ahi Ka gifted me a very cool pipe that needed some love (more on the pipe later). One of the things it was in need off was some case repair. The tip of the case around the button had been broken off one side of the clamshell. The repair is not a restoration, more of functional stabilization. It’s impossible to get the leather that these cases were covered in as it’s no longer made. So covering the repair with original type materials is out of the question. But I was able to make the case whole again. The repair is made of basswood as I suspect the case is also. Once the epoxy fully cures, I’ll get the repair blended in and clean up the rest of the case.

IMG_9751.jpegIMG_9752.jpegIMG_9753.jpegIMG_9754.jpegIMG_9755.jpegIMG_9756.jpegIMG_9757.jpegIMG_9758.jpegIMG_9759.jpegIMG_9760.jpegIMG_9761.jpegIMG_9762.jpegIMG_9763.jpegIMG_9764.jpegIMG_9765.jpeg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@RustiePyles CPG : The case covering is still around. I had cases fully recovered and restored by the former pipe shop in Chancellory Lane in London. In fact Tim (@ashdigger) had one of mine from the 1890s in his collection for while before passing it on that was a fully overhauled case. PM me and I'll pass on the details! As an after thought you are spot on about the wood for the cases.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
@RustiePyles CPG : The case covering is still around. I had cases fully recovered and restored by the former pipe shop in Chancellory Lane in London. In fact Tim (@ashdigger) had one of mine from the 1890s in his collection for while before passing it on that was a fully overhauled case. PM me and I'll pass on the details! As an after thought you are spot on about the wood for the cases.
Interesting, i had made my assumption based on having talked to a few people who work with leather and one who actually made pipe cases. But after reading your comment I did a little more digging and have ordered a few samples bookbinders leather (goat & lamb).
I’m gonna see if I can make them work for recovering cases and making new cases.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Interesting, i had made my assumption based on having talked to a few people who work with leather and one who actually made pipe cases. But after reading your comment I did a little more digging and have ordered a few samples bookbinders leather (goat & lamb).
I’m gonna see if I can make them work for recovering cases and making new cases.
I remember watching a video about making cases a few years ago, Lubinskis Italian website I think it was. It showed a Turkish lady & her sons making them from start to finish.