PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I have an old clay Peterson that is unsmoked because a hole was knocked out of the bottom. It's hard to see from the chamber photo, but the hole is exactly at the draft hole.

My plan is to push a little bit of plaster/egg white mixture in from the inside of the chamber, let it dry, then, from the outside, add white CA glue for strength.

Thoughts?

1xPK2uh.png

My thoughts are... these are cheap enough that you could easily replace it. I know, I know,,, it's hard to let go. I used to have a friend of mine that was a potter that always said when someone broke one of his ceramic pieces, "humanity has been making pots since we first stood up, and if the shit didn't break, we'd be up to our necks in it."

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
My thoughts are... these are cheap enough that you could easily replace it. I know, I know,,, it's hard to let go. I used to have a friend of mine that was a potter that always said when someone broke one of his ceramic pieces, "humanity has been making pots since we first stood up, and if the shit didn't break, we'd be up to our necks in it."

I agree that they were made cheap and they look cheap, but ... the Peterson dutch clay is still expensive. I saved the following assertion from the auction description of someone who seems to be the favorite ebay seller of members here: "In 1937 they stuck with the 12 and discontinued the 8. The 8 is a classic Dutch Billiard system which is equivalent to the later 313." It's not true, of course, as this pipe was made well after 1937, but they did discontinue this shape before stopping clay pipe production altogether.

But the guy I acquired it from felt the same way you do - he gifted it to me because he didn't want to deal with the hole. So I completely get it.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Plaster might be strong enough on its own. I would consider putting a piece of silicone tubing into the draft hole and pack the plaster carefully from the outside (easier to push from the larger end of the hole into the smaller one). A very thin layer of amber CA diluted with clear CA might match the outer patina.

Reactions: runscott

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Plaster might be strong enough on its own. I would consider putting a piece of silicone tubing into the draft hole and pack the plaster carefully from the outside (easier to push from the larger end of the hole into the smaller one). A very thin layer of amber CA diluted with clear CA might match the outer patina.
Thanks. I had to buy medium/thick white CA glue for some ivory repairs, so I will dry some of it and see what color results.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey