PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
While this looks like an unstained pipe to me, will the carbon remover not compromise stain ?
Since I do full restoration and restaining I don’t really sweat it to much. I always assume I’m gonna find a dumpster fire underneath a heavily caked rim that needs to be repaired. Having said that, out of the hundreds of pipes I’ve used carbon off on, I’ve only had two or three that had to have the rims restained. I’m not sure if it was the carbon off or they were just knackered under the carbon already, it’s nearly impossible to say.

Since different companies used a myriad of different stains it’s difficult to say how they are affected by different chemicals and processes.

I would say if you are unsure or don’t have the means to fix a stain boo boo then don’t use it. Maybe get a can and try it on some cheaper pipes so you can get a feel for how it works and what it does to a pipe.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Since I do full restoration and restaining I don’t really sweat it to much. I always assume I’m gonna find a dumpster fire underneath a heavily caked rim that needs to be repaired. Having said that, out of the hundreds of pipes I’ve used carbon off on, I’ve only had two or three that had to have the rims restained. I’m not sure if it was the carbon off or they were just knackered under the carbon already, it’s nearly impossible to say.

Since different companies used a myriad of different stains it’s difficult to say how they are affected by different chemicals and processes.

I would say if you are unsure or don’t have the means to fix a stain boo boo then don’t use it. Maybe get a can and try it on some cheaper pipes so you can get a feel for how it works and what it does to a pipe.
Thank you for the advice Fletch. This stuff is expensive and not available over here, so I'll stick with my current methods :)

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Thank you for the advice Fletch. This stuff is expensive and not available over here, so I'll stick with my current methods :)
Yeah, it's not cheap. I originally bought it to restore fairly valuable antique waffle irons so the cost wasn't out of line with the value of the outcome. One can has lasted me a very long time and I've used it on several waffle irons and LOADS of pipes.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
What's the shelf life of this stuff you reckon ?
Mix a little ammonia with petroleum gelly ?
Be careful using straight ammonia. Ammonia fumes have been used to stain wood for close to a 150 years. So it can alter the color of wood. How much it will react with briar I'm not sure because it's proportional to the amount of tannin in the wood, and briar doesn't have a lot of tannins in it so it could be ok.

The can I have is at least 6 years old and still going strong, but I'm not sure of it's ultimate shelf life.

According to the Carbon Off MSDS its mostly

Ethanol
Lye
& Xylene

Carbon off.PNG

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Be careful using straight ammonia. Ammonia fumes have been used to stain wood for close to a 150 years. So it can alter the color of wood. How much it will react with briar I'm not sure because it's proportional to the amount of tannin in the wood, and briar doesn't have a lot of tannins in it so it could be ok.

The can I have is at least 6 years old and still going strong, but I'm not sure of it's ultimate shelf life.

According to the Carbon Off MSDS its mostly

Ethanol
Lye
& Xylene

View attachment 302043
Wonderful, thank you Fletch :) Wiil try this on an trash pipe.
Ammonia can "stain" oak wood to pitch black. making it look very natural.
And so does urine ; a parquet technician once told me that in ancient times large quantities of urine from cattle were poored over oak floors to darken them. Intriguing, not ?