PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Well, I took the advice of the folks on the PMF and totally redid this Dublin. I cut off the Plateaux, cut the size down considerably and tried with my Dremel tool to make it look something like a blast. I also re-bent the stem as per comments there. I don't have a blasting machine so I did this using a medium Dremel cutting tool.
RTRVlyd.jpg

It looks like there is a gap where the stem and shank meet but I forgot to push the stem all the way in.
9bQAwYc.jpg

bCzLLri.jpg

ef4onAW.jpg

Z3xtgCP.jpg

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I want to but every time I check for Meer blocks at Vermont Freehand they are always sold out.
I honestly think I bought the next-to-the-last piece of meerschaum they had in stock. That was probably a year ago, and I haven’t seen a restock. I don’t expect them to get anymore either. I think Turkey has made it illegal to export it unless it’s finished products for sale. At least I heard something to that effect. ?

• Sad
Reactions: weezell

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Turkey, the primary producer of Meerschaum, passed laws in the 1960's prohibiting the export of Meerschaum. That law is still in effect. The carver's there can sell pipes made from the mineral, but unfortunately the world supply of Meerschaum is extremely limited. I found a few on Ebay, but those people turned out to be scammers.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Toast, you are right. I scooped all four blocks.
I had one in my cart, but changed my mind because I wasn’t sure how to do the mortise/tenon on meerschaum. My hobby block that I carved already had that part done. I’m really glad you snagged all of them. Very much looking forward to seeing what you do with them!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I don't have a blasting set up and I just tried my best to emulate what I thought would have the same effect with my Dremel. I've got a billiard on the bench that has impressive ring grain and I am going to attempt to do the same thing.
We'll see I guess.
Do you have a compressor? If so, I think a sandblasting attachment would be pretty easy to make. I’ve never tried it, but I’ve seen them made out of a water bottle and a few homemade fittings. Whether it would work worth a damn on briar, I don’t know. I wish I had at least tried it when I did this pipe and knife set. I did what you did, go after it with a Dremel. To very limited success. I think yours turned out better.
85ABFFEC-9516-46A7-9A56-43285D71E4C0.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.