PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
null

This is the return message. I don't expect much he's more to the left than Obama(udercover smoker).

But I finally got a return.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Got one .Thank you for contacting me regarding the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010 (H.R. 4439). I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.
As you know, H.R. 4439 was introduced in the House of Representatives on January 13, 2010. This legislation would increase the tax on pipe tobacco from $2.83 to $24.78 per pound. H.R. 4439 was referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means for further consideration.
I believe that raising taxes will not provide much-needed fiscal discipline in Washington but will instead impose an unnecessary burden on working families and small businesses who are already struggling in today’s economy. Instead of raising taxes, Congress should focus on eliminating excessive overhead, wasteful spending and duplicative programs. In fact, the Government Accountability Office, an independent, investigative arm of Congress, has identified billions of dollars in federal expenditures that are vulnerable to waste, fraud, and abuse. That is why I have supported numerous efforts in the Senate to save taxpayers billions of dollars. Most recently, I supported a group of amendments that would have collectively saved taxpayers $120 billion by reducing discretionary spending and cancelling the spending of federal funds that have been unspent for at least two years and not obligated for any purpose.
Furthermore, in an effort to combat wasteful government spending, I introduced the United States Authorization and Sunset Commission Act of 2009 (S. 926). This legislation takes steps to establish the necessary framework to create a federal sunset commission. The commission will improve congressional oversight and facilitate the elimination of obsolete and duplicative government programs—focusing on unauthorized and non-performing programs. This legislation is modeled after the Sunset Act, which the State of Texas instituted in 1977. The Sunset Act has led to the elimination of over 50 agencies deemed duplicative and has saved Texans more than $700 million, and I am hopeful that S. 926 will reap the same benefits.
I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
JOHN CORNYN

United States Senator

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Igloo,
That letter sounds promising!
My congressman from where I'm living in Indiana (Baron Hill) got back to me, but it didn't sound like much either way, I'll just be keeping my fingers crossed.
Dunendain,
I get the feeling the letter you got from Barbara Boxer didn't offer much in the way of hope.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
In the letter I got from my senator, he seemed to act as if it would not make it out of committee.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I can't believe the way the liberal press protect Obama. The won't show a picture of him smoking. If George Bush had smoked, it would be on the front page of the New York Times. Daily!

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, BS huh. I guess after all is said and done the rich will still be able to smoke. Oh, and me thats why I'm starting to grow my own.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
This was the response I got.
Should this legislation come before the full Senate for a vote, please be assured that I will keep your views in mind.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I received a response from my Senator Jeff Sessions, "Ranking member of the Armed Services Committee, Energy and Natural Resources Committee, and Budget Committee."

He's a Republican.
"Thank you for contacting me regarding the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010 (H.R. 4439)
I understand your concerns about a possible increase in taxes on pipe tobacco products. As you know, H.R. 4439 was introduced in the House of Representatives on January 13, 2010, by Representative Steve Cohen. This bill would impose the same rate of tax on pipe tobacco as is levied on roll-your-own tobacco. The legislation is currently pending before the House Committee on Ways and Means for review. I assure you that I will keep your thoughts in mind as this measure progresses through the legislative process.
Thanks you again for writing. Your comments and advice are always welcome.

Very truly yours,

Jeff Sessions

United States Senator

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here's mine that I got today.
bill-young-letter-hr4439.jpg

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I got the standard form letter from my people.

"Thank you for contacting me. I will get back to you about your specific concern soon."
So far, I've not heard a thing, which is exactly what I expected.

Government of, for and by the people. The people being themselves. The rest of us don't count unless its election time. Yes, I'm a cynical old fart.
Whew, where'd that come from?

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
HMM...bet the anti-smoking Nazis don't like that much. Sounds alot better than other things I have heard about creating a sufficient amount of vaccine. Did anyone watch the conspiracy theory with Governor Jessie Ventura? In particular the one about the bilderberg group. If not check it out it will make you question things in general.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I really like when you try to email a rep it will not let you post it if you are not in thier voting zip code . Here in The Woodlands over 400 doctors showed up to protest the health care bill . Did not even make the news .Either they don't know, don't show, or don't care about what's going on in the hood .

Status
Not open for further replies.