PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I've noticed a few people mention that a certain blend is best suited to one of their pipes rather than the others (and francois1 asked about this in another thread). I've also noticed that most of my pipes have a blend that tastes and smokes better in that one pipe compared to the others. I can maybe see why an aromatic would be better in a short or full bent pipe so it is under your nose, but the "right pipe, right blend" seems to go much further than that.
Any one any ideas why it is like this? Or is it just pipe magic?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I too smoke mostly Aromatics because the War Department doesn't particularly care for the room note of Non-Aros.

But, for me, Aromatic blends seem to smoke better in my large frame free-forms, like my Nordings.

I smoke most of my Aros in my my Medium to large bowled pipes. Because it easier to pack them loosely, I can hold the temperature down when smoking them. Flakes I tend to smoke in my smaller bowled pipes. Maybe it's only psychological, but I tend to have a better smoke when I use a smaller bowl for flakes.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Or is it just pipe magic?
That's the way I see it, so I don't even mess with it.
It's like having someone living in a house by You that You can't get along with then they move and someone diff. moves in that is a joy to have by You. (same house diff. people) :?:

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
Not to mention Lawrence but to me the flakes are way more expensive making the choice of a smaller bowl to smoke them in a wise decision lol. For me anyway.
I have a small bowl Italian briar that i only smoke Lane BCA out of. For some reason this blend is GREAT in this pipe.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I have one churchwarden that always tends to gurgle when I smoke an aromatic. So I dedicate that pipe to English blends and it does better.
I have a couple of pipes for aromatics, a couple for English blends, and a couple I will smoke anything in. But with the one exception noted above, it's not because I think a pipe will smoke better with a certain tobacco. I am just curious to learn about the ghosting effects with the different tobacco types.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The "general accepted principal" is that aros and latakia blends smoke better in larger bowl, allowing the flavors to do their thing better. YMMV, of course.
I have one dedicated pipe - a Stanwell drop egg - that I only smoke McCranie's Murdock's Pipe in. When I first was exploring that delightful blend, I found that this Stan smokes it so beautifully that I dedicated that pipe to that blend. Why? Dunno, don't care. :D

:puffy:

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
I think there are so many factors.
-Age and type/location of briar

-Curing method

-Chamber diameter and geometry

-Lighting method (matches/butane/zippo)

-Packing method

-How much or how little that pipe has been smoked

-Mechanics/engineering of the pipe
Those are some of the variables. Obviously, the tobacco itself is a variable, along with the age of the tobacco and the moisture level of the tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.