PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
He was a real one. I have watched countless videos of his roasting stupidity and irrationality and try to apply some of the learnings myself. A few that stuck with me are:
  • How hard is it to be rational
  • If people weren’t so often stupid we wouldn’t be so rich
  • Find what can go wrong, not what can go right
  • Stay within your circle of competence

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Well he sure chose (or rather, had it chosen for him) an interesting time to check out. Several things in the economy are right on the precipice of occurring. I can't help but wonder what he'd think of it (specifically the stock/bond/real estate megabubble popping all at once), but we'll just have to see what his buddy Warren says, and I would safely assume Charlie would say ditto on whatever it was.

RIP

Reactions: karam

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Well he sure chose (or rather, had it chosen for him) an interesting time to check out. Several things in the economy are right on the precipice of occurring. I can't help but wonder what he'd think of it (specifically the stock/bond/real estate megabubble popping all at once), but we'll just have to see what his buddy Warren says, and I would safely assume Charlie would say ditto on whatever it was.

RIP
13 years ago he said “if I can be optimistic when I nearly dead you can handle a little inflation”, before a mega bull run of the S&P500.

Just a month ago he said that opportunities are few and far between now compared with the 60s-70s, but they still exist.

BRK.B barely registered his passing, probably 100% priced in already. I bought some more!

Optimism is the only way forward in my opinion!

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Boglehead here as well. I am on the Boglehead Forum at least once a day.
I used to participate regularly, but I found that just discussing the news and all of the funds and options out there became a huge temptation to fiddle with my investments, so I started taking more and more time away. Plus, there were a handful of members who were somewhat tedious. puffy

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013

RIP
Berkshire is sitting on theur largest cash position ever, retail investors are bullish as ever, I have short positions on the S&P and nasdaq I havent closed. They were wrong about bitcoin though and missed the best performing asset in history

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Berkshire is sitting on their largest cash position ever
Using a fictional medium (fiat currency) to measure wealth is not the most ideal barometer. To quote Robert Kiyosaki, "Cash is trash!"

retail investors are bullish as ever
Historically, they often are...right before a recession. Then they get clobbered. I'm seeing a ton of parallels between '08 and now. This is yet another.

I have short positions on the S&P and nasdaq I havent closed.
Speculative paper assets requiring 3rd party performance are exceedingly risky, especially nowadays, when business is so burdened by excessive regulation. Weimar-esque inflation + people who panic easily = you know what!

They were wrong about bitcoin though and missed the best performing asset in history
"Best" is a considerable stretch. It has performed alright, for now. Intangible assets can be very volatile, especially factoring in the aforementioned strained economy. Perhaps they, like me and many others, are/were hesitant to get involved in something they don't entirely understand, a wise strategy IMHO. Which leads to something else they were wrong about: precious metals. Gold just hit an all-time high on Friday. I'm sure lots of folks, including Warren, will jump on the bandwagon eventually. Might be pretty pricey by then though...

Reactions: brian64 and andrew

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
I used to participate regularly, but I found that just discussing the news and all of the funds and options out there became a huge temptation to fiddle with my investments, so I started taking more and more time away. Plus, there were a handful of members who were somewhat tedious. puffy
You make a great point about excessive fiddling. It has taken me years to learn how to not out think myself by trade too often. As Jack Bogle said “Don’t do something. Just stand there.”

Time in the market is more important than timing the market.

Reactions: ThermionicScott