Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Someone told Edith Piaf, the French chanteuse, in her youth, that it wasn't enough just to sing a song with good voice and technique, you had to act the song, make the audience feel it. Loretta either learned that early in her career, or just knew it innately, something she had in common with Frank Sinatra, John Prine, and Patsy Cline, among others.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think of singers bringing emotion to a song as putting on. But it takes some acting skills to summon those emotions after a three-hundred mile bus ride between gigs, when the stage lights go on, in front of a loud crowd of two hundred or twenty thousand, on cue. It's part of the job, and the authenticity is either there or it isn't. With Loretta, it was.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I don't think of singers bringing emotion to a song as putting on. But it takes some acting skills to summon those emotions after a three-hundred mile bus ride between gigs, when the stage lights go on, in front of a loud crowd of two hundred or twenty thousand, on cue. It's part of the job, and the authenticity is either there or it isn't. With Loretta, it was.

Yup.

I did pro audio (live sound) for a decade, a job which brings you into contact with established performers regularly, and famous ones from time to time.

I asked a (relatively) famous singer one time exactly that question. How did she find the energy to "switch on" when the show started after days of the exhausting grind lifestyle between each show. Her answer? "It's the other way around... Living that hour of magic is why we put up with all the other stuff."

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
A few months ago I re-watched the movie with Sissy Spacek...IMO the best music-bio film ever made (at least of any that I've seen) and just a great movie period...transcends the genre. Spacek was born to play Loretta.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
When I heard, the only song that flashed in my mind was her very best, a duet with Conway Twitty.

There was a day of Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris, George and Tammy, Conway and Loretta, Porter and Dolly, Merle and Bonnie, Buck Owens and Susan Rae, Jim Ed Brown and Helen Cornelius, and Charlie Louvin and Melba Montgomery.

Duet country acts are almost gone.