PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jeff 11B

Lurker
May 1, 2021
Big fan of Nanci Griffith...and Jim Croce. Both left us too soon. I'm interested to see the comments, and actual number of comments on this tread. There's a ton of good people on the site with their own taste in everything that makes up life, as it should be. But every once in a while something like this tread shows up and lets you know who's wired like you. Their music reminds me of an old saying. "If I have to explain it, you won't understand it."

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Thnx for the thread--RIP. She's news to me in more ways than one. I thought Iris Dement was only the big name Lady Singer with JP. And I saw John Prine in 1978 at some smaller venue catty-corner from the National Theater in NW Wash., D. C. (and Jim Croce in N. Carolina the year before that). Course I had been drinking and smoking and getting, like his song says, ". . . you can see me tonight with an illegal smile, it don't cost very much but it lasts a long while. . . ." LOL
kindly
mike

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Thnx for the thread--RIP. She's news to me in more ways than one. I thought Iris Dement was only the big name Lady Singer with JP. And I saw John Prine in 1978 at some smaller venue catty-corner from the National Theater in NW Wash., D. C. (and Jim Croce in N. Carolina the year before that). Course I had been drinking and smoking and getting, like his song says, ". . . you can see me tonight with an illegal smile, it don't cost very much but it lasts a long while. . . ." LOL
kindly
mike
And here’s one of her with Townes Van Zandt. Audio quality isn’t the best, but it’s a real gem nonetheless.

• Love
Reactions: Tar Wheel

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I don't have a clue how I missed her all these decades. And there she is in one clip with Guy Clark, Eric Taylor, Steve Earl, Jimmy Dale Gilmore, Rodney Crowl and Jerry Jeff--holy cow! And hearing them sing--what a blessing the gift of hearing is!! Their accents--speaks to my heart--my Mother Tongue from the cradle, I see Mimi in the kitchen in the 60's making chocolate pie - cream peas from the garden - cuttin' up tomatoes - and cooking cream 'taters, squash and chicken fried steak--those voices and accents touch me deeply! And what singing!! I gotta pull up a video of Austin City Limits tonight!
Thnx!
kindly
mike
ps-how 'bout fried eggs, bacon, biscuits and saucerin' your coffee LOL this morning :)--Grandaddy's breakfast years back after morning milkin' at 4 and getting stoked up to clean the milk tank in the barn later in the morning :)) -- what a different pace of life that was!

Reactions: Country Bladesmith