PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
As promised, here’s a 26" Eugène-Léon Ropp Cherrywood with a Natural Horn Stem (stamped “Bussang,” so, it’s very likely it was made at Ropp’s original workshop in Bussang between 1870–1893) next to a 5.05" Ropp Etudiant Smooth Squashed Tomato J06.

View attachment 294398

View attachment 294399
That is one friggin cool pipe. It's got a great tribal/ritual look. I bet it can induce a serious meditative trance.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
As promised, here’s a 26" Eugène-Léon Ropp Cherrywood with a Natural Horn Stem (stamped “Bussang,” so, it’s very likely it was made at Ropp’s original workshop in Bussang between 1870–1893) next to a 5.05" Ropp Etudiant Smooth Squashed Tomato J06.

View attachment 294398

View attachment 294399
Amazing!!! What’s the measurements and weight of the big boy?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

View attachment 294398

View attachment 294399
A rustic fireside pipe.
Similar dimensions to the large meer Kalmasch of that era

Given the reputedly high cost of tobacco at the time, not an everyday smoke for the man on the street

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Amazing!!! What’s the measurements and weight of the big boy?

I’m not sure I have the means to weigh it. My digital scale that I use for coffee beans probably isn’t meant to handle much—I’m reluctant to put it on that scale. As mentioned above, the big pipe is about 26.0" in length. The chamber isn’t that wide, but it is deep (provides over three hours of smoking time). My BST LC and French LC both give me about five hours, though.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’m not sure I have the means to weigh it. My digital scale that I use for coffee beans probably isn’t meant to handle much—I’m reluctant to put it on that scale. As mentioned above, the big pipe is about 26.0" in length. The chamber isn’t that wide, but it is deep (provides over three hours of smoking time). My BST LC and French LC both give me about five hours, though.
This is straight up mind boggling. How did you acquire it?

Reactions: TheIronMonkey
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
This is straight up mind boggling. How did you acquire it?

Ropp is one of the brands of pipes that I actively collect (Savinelli, Brebbia, Longchamp, Colossus Pipe Factory are some of the others), so I’m always looking online. When I ordered this one from France, there was nothing in the photos to provide scale and prepare me for how large it actually was—I thought I was just getting another Ropp Cherrywood, just older. When I unboxed it and pulled out a tree limb, my jaw dropped. I really had no idea it was this large. I started laughing in disbelief as I screwed the parts together. It’s been great to smoke while watching UFC. Sometimes I put it on a chair next to my computer when I’m working and sip.