Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I tend to smoke a blend exclusively for awhile without switching it up. A lot of times I’ll smoke through a 2oz. tin of one blend without anything else in between. It helps me pull all the nuances out and really get to know a blend before moving on to the next. Anyone else do this?

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I usually have eight to ten blends open at any given time, mostly English/balkans with one or two VA flake or VA perique blends as a change of pace in the half-dozen or so pipes that I dedicate to non-latakia blends, out of about 130 pipes in my collection

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
I like to focus on 1-2 dedicated tins at a time for each blend type I enjoy smoking (1 VaPer, 1 straight Virginia, 1-2 Virginia-based, 1 Kentucky, and 1-2 Scottish/English). I also tend to smoke these at different times of the day (VaPers in the mornings, Virginias and Virginia-based in the afternoons, and Kentucky and Scottish/English in the evenings). I feel like this way I can concentrate and get the most out of each one while still getting enough variety to keep things interesting.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I like variety, I try to only open 1 tin of type of tobacco (burely, VA, VaPer, English), generally have 6 tins of something open.

I have had cases when I open a tin and smoke through it all the way "fast" (still take about a month or 2)I won't get the nuances of it. I have a tin of Solani ABF which tasted very flat when I opened it, drying the flakes didn't help. I left it in the tin, revisited now and then. After 5 months it got better, after 1 year in the open tin it is actually very good and would be cellar worthy which for me means 5 tins of it. If you know the blend your method of smoking is fine, but for testing a blend the first time it wouldn't work for me.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Almost everything I own gets jarred immediately (there are a few exceptions); and, I may reach for any of my jars on any day. Still, most are on storage shelves and don't see as much use, whereas I keep 20-25 in my daily cabinet.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I keep about 10-15 blends open for picking. But I will just smoke one blend exclusively if thats what I feel like smoking.

I used to force myself to smoke other open blends just cause. I didn’t like that. So if you want to smoke only one blend and are enjoying it, then do that. Don’t force yourself to try something if you don’t want to.

First blend I ran through with nothing else in between was St Bruno.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I tend to smoke a blend exclusively for awhile without switching it up. A lot of times I’ll smoke through a 2oz. tin of one blend without anything else in between. It helps me pull all the nuances out and really get to know a blend before moving on to the next. Anyone else do this?

I'm trying to do my own "blend club" thing where I only smoke one blend for a month or until the tin/jar is gone. Then settle on something else.

The goal is to just smoke the stuff I have a tin or less of that I bought to try and probably wont buy more of. Blends I have in greater amounts get smoked when I'm debating what the next "blend of the month" will be.