PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Just picked up this Royal Copenhagen porcelain pipe at an auction. Good info on Pipedia about these.

They only made them from 1970 - 1985. This one is in excellent shape and will be even better once I clean up the stem etc. Question is, has anyone smoked a porcelain pipe before? How do they smoke?

wvintage_royal_copenhagen_pipe-88-1.jpeg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
This line of porcelain pipes resulted from a competition held by Royal Copenhagen.
Leading Danish pipe makers of the day were invited to compete.
It was won by Jorn Micke who went on to design several pipes for this line-up

I have just this one, a Jorn Micke design, which I bought in the late 1970s
It has a small chamber and is quite heavy for its size because of its double wall design. Not a clencher
I use it for short smokes. And for tasting new blends.

The golf ball shape was designed by Anne Julie. I bought one of these and gave it to my brother as a birthday present.

It’s easy to return the walls to bare porcelain using a damp kitchen towel after a smoke

876F1E67-3FA4-4C48-8BA9-03A1725153BB.jpeg

Last edited:

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
This line of porcelain pipes resulted from a competition held by Royal Copenhagen.
Leading Danish pipe makers of the day were invited to compete.
It was won by Jorn Micke who went on to design several pipes for this line-up

I have just this one, a Jorn Micke design, which I bought in the late 1970s
It has a small chamber and is quite heavy for its size because of its double wall design. Not a clencher
I use it for short smokes. And for tasting new blends.

The golf ball shape was designed by Anne Julie. I bought one of these and gave it to my brother as a birthday present.

It’s easy to return the walls to bare porcelain using a damp kitchen towel after a smoke

View attachment 282272
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of using it for new tobaccos. I guess it’s pretty hard to ghost porcelain?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
My Jørn Micke is very similar to @OzPiper ’s pipe shown above; mine was a 5th Anniversary gift from my girlfriend—it was unsmoked and came with a matching stand:

IMG_20220918_003636.jpg

The high-end American artisan pipe maker, Todd Johnson has said, “Jørn Micke is perhaps my favorite pipe maker in history.” Johnson is pretty well regarded, so that seems like high praise in my book.

The Micke smokes like most pipes and is not ideal for clenching because of its weight, but I don’t clench much anyway.