PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Anyone use those rubber pipe bits? I've been satisfied with using them and can clench more easily, however yesterday when I removed it to polish my stem, I noticed that there was some slight oxidation left where the bit was. I suppose it's from my saliva being trapped there after smoking. Do you just remove them after every time you smoke to keep this from happening? The whole point is to keep my stems intact, not make them look worse.

Reactions: jbfrady

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
It happened on one of my older pipes. The vulcanite is still jet black, but there is a faint green line where the bit would of been. There was no green before using the bit. I'd say after a while you may have problems. I'm pretty adamant about keeping them in good, clean condition. It bugs me though because I cannot get the last little bit to buff out. I think from now on I'll just remove them on all of my pipes after smoking. It was only on that stem for four days! My other pipes in newer condition are fine, but I can see how this may be damaging to them after a while. I'm still going to use them though, they do work.

Reactions: Two Pipes Crossing

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ive never had them actually oxidize but I suppose its possible. I use them on some pipes, especially acrylic. Its just a little to clicky for my taste. One way to possibly address the problem is when you are done smoking wipe the stem and kind of push up a little where the meeting point is. In that way the area may get clean of excess goop.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I mostly use them on bits I've chewed through. I'm into utility not beauty when it comes to pipes. Well, after purchase that is. Two of my meers and a few of the briars have the tips, permanently. I find them not uncomfortable for the most part.

Reactions: Elric

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I don’t clench so no. What I do notice though when smoking various pipes is the difference in bite and lip of the stems. How they feel is important to my overall opinion of the pipe.
That's what I like about this particular pipe. Just didn't want to mess it up. The bits definitely change the way you clench them. I like it.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I used them a few times and it made the bit more comfortable but can you imagine what is growing underneath, give it a shot of peroxide from time to time.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Anyone use those rubber pipe bits? I've been satisfied with using them and can clench more easily, however yesterday when I removed it to polish my stem, I noticed that there was some slight oxidation left where the bit was. I suppose it's from my saliva being trapped there after smoking. Do you just remove them after every time you smoke to keep this from happening? The whole point is to keep my stems intact, not make them look worse.
I prefer the silicon ones.
Remove them and wipe the stem clean after each smoke and you will be fine.
Most of my pipes are old estates with vulcanite stems, so oxidation is a constant possibility

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Not a bad idea. Though Im getting more accustomed to acrylic bits. My pipes seem to be shedding the bits. However, There are a few that I will likely keep with softbits. The ones I tend to clench. Time will tell.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I use softy bits on all of my pipes. I only remove them when I've chewed a hole in them and need to be replaced. Depending on the stem material, some will oxidize over time and others will not. I use clear ones on my yellow stem meerschaum pipes. I hate the look of a black softy bit on a yellow stem. Just looks ugly.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I'm not the best clencher, I always feel like I'm going to damage my nice stems or the pipe feels like it's about to slip out of my mouth from being too careful with the stem, so I like them. They do feel weird though when I just want to sip and they don't look the coolest. I gotta say, it sure is nice to be able to clinch comfortably though. I'm enjoying my cadence while doing it, although it makes me drool a little if I leave it in too long.