PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have a notice set up when a Marxman comes on eBay.

Any more I’m so particular it about has to be a “B” size or larger to get me motivated to want another Marxman.

About a week ago a seller listed these for $25 and $10 shipping.

That middle pipe is a “C” Jumbo.

IMG_7085.jpeg

They arrived yesterday and none of the three are marked imported briar, and all three have superb stems with perfectly fashioned bits. These are likely pre war pipes from the depths of the Great Depression.

After 1939 or so if a pipe was made from imported briar they were extremely proud of the fact, and usually stamped them as such. And during the war the makers switched to synthetic rubber, which is a bit tougher and not as soft.

The Marxman is the ugliest and worst made Marxman I own, and at 60 grams a large C” $10 size. It was nearly unsmoked. As Marxman pipes get newer, the carving is better and they were more careful drilling them.

From about 1934 to 1937 that C size Jumbo was the most expensive factory pipe on the earth. And the guy didn’t smoke it more than once or twice. I’ve already enjoyed it more than he did.

IMG_7161.jpegIMG_7158.jpegIMG_7159.jpegIMG_7160.jpeg

The Bruck Bros Best Briar Superior -GIANT- was made in England and today we’d call it a medium billiard.

I reamed out a lot of cake, and pulled a strange looking stinger, and it cleaned up like it was 1936. It tastes cool and sweet, no musty odor or ghosts.

IMG_7162.jpeg
IMG_7090.jpeg
IMG_7164.jpegIMG_7165.jpegIMG_7166.jpeg

The poor old no name basket pipe Dublin is cleaning up well, too.

All three stems were badly browned from age and I’m working on those, and should have them black as midnight in a few days.

These three will be good for another 90 years or so now.

If you look long enough there are still truly bargain pipes today.

Last edited:

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I woun’t knock the quality smoke produced from the thick wall pipe but the rustication looks like it was made by a chain saw !

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I woun’t knock the quality smoke produced from the thick wall pipe but the rustication looks like it was made by a chain saw !

And remember, that ugly chunk of completely grainless Alergian briar, with second grade arts and crafts level carving, drilled with the draft hole way over to one side,,,.:

At ten dollars was the most expensive factory pipe in the world, from 34-36.

Then Marx added an ugly $15 size Jumbo and a $25 size 400.

The carving did get better, and the construction became flawless.

I’m convinced this is an early C Jumbo.

Look at the horrible stem fit. This pipe was two smokes old at most. It left the factory like this.

IMG_7167.jpeg

But it smokes heavenly, divine, beyond description well, once you’ve got addicted to a Marxman.

They are like many other things in life, an aquired taste.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
That’s the only other Marxman cutty-ish I’ve seen so far.
Mine took a little cleaning, and was passed onto a friend here for PMSS24🎅🏼
View attachment 290367

See that Marxman logo?

View attachment 290369

Somewhere else that pipe will likely have IMPORTED BRIAR or maybe, an outline of Algeria in a crown before briar.

My latest C Jumbo only has these marks. They missed the last O on JUMBO and hand stamped it.

IMG_7161.jpeg
IMG_7170.jpeg

In 1934 the customer who paid ten dollars for the most expensive pipe in the world knew he was getting top of the top shelf of a huge hunk of mountain grown Algerian briar.

That pipe is so soft I can scratch it using my fingernail.

And after four smokes since yesterday look at how one spot is coloring oxblood red. I was very careful not to wax it or disturb the finish. It was almost new. I used one pipe cleaner and removed one or at most two smokes of carbon from the top half of the chamber, only using Everclear and a twisted paper towel.

IMG_7171.jpeg

Now it’s a combination of puke tan and oxblood, and it will get uglier by the smoke until it turns almost black.

They surely are for the faithful.:)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That’s the only other Marxman cutty-ish I’ve seen so far.
Mine took a little cleaning, and was passed onto a friend here for PMSS24🎅🏼
I appreciate that our esteemed legal eagle is addicted to that magical elixir present only in pre-WW II Algerian briar hand-harvested by Algerian workers in harsh conditions overseen by their overlords, the colonial French.

And that you and @telescopes collect these because of their history as pieces of the American pipe industry that once was.

My post was to point out to new pipe smokers that it is possible to find cheap AND fine looking estate pipes.
If they are prepared to be diligent in their search

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I appreciate that our esteemed legal eagle is addicted to that magical elixir present only in pre-WW II Algerian briar hand-harvested by Algerian workers in harsh conditions overseen by their overlords, the colonial French.

And that you and @telescopes collect these because of their history as pieces of the American pipe industry that once was.

My post was to point out to new pipe smokers that it is possible to find cheap AND fine looking estate pipes.

My Bruck Bros Best Briar GIANT isn’t an ugly pipe.

It might have cost two or three dollars in 1934.

My guess is there was a local tobacco shop named Brunk Bros who imported BBB pipes privately branded.

IMG_7164.jpeg

Maybe this was a dollar basket pipe at Brunk Bros?

IMG_7172.jpeg

The cheapie has no fills, it’s a decent size, a nice pipe.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
We all know you love those pipes.
But they don’t have to look like :poop:
This estate was @$30. And it came cleaned 😁

View attachment 290346

This was @$25

View attachment 290356
I couldn't agree with you more. A pipe shouldn't look inbred. Mr. Lee sent me pics of his prize a few days ago and I believe my words to him were the same.

Gernerally speaking, there are some beautiful specimens of Marxman pipes out there. If I had my druthers, the pipes from The Hills have Eyes, would be irradiated to dust. Dragging out the worst examples of the brand is a kin being a member of a minority group and hoping every time the news talks about a crime, you don't see one of your own group in cuffs. That's how I feel when Lee says, "Lookie here, I found another Marxman."

Yes, it is true, Robert Marx put out some ugly pipes. But... he also put out some beautiful examples of early freestyles. He was trying to break the mold of what a pipe should look like. It was the 30s - Art Deco was in vogue. But still, some of those pipes Lee puts on the forum make me cringe.

Sorry, @Briar Lee - maybe the court will render a different verdict, but that recent one is almost as ugly as your ventilated bowl with holes.

Keep em coming.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ

Now there’s a solid rumination on bargain pipes.
There are many good bargains to be had. As a novitiate pipester, I have yet to pay more than $70 for a pipe, with the majority of the dozen plus I’ve bought in the past year not topping the $40 mark.
The Marxman I posted above was around $20, and only left my care because it’s a larger chamber than I prefer.
This prewar Algerian briar Kaywoodie Flame Grain Meer was landed for under $10 (and a little work) and it smokes “divinely”…
9AD22488-B534-4461-AD66-1F90C83097BC.jpeg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
IMG_7178 Copy.jpeg

Here’s an example of a $12.50 pipe 1937-9.

The grain is spectacular.

It has a long, large ball 4 hole stinger.

Look at the satin shine of pre war natural rubber vulcanite, and that perfect fish tail bit.

And when Kaywoodie used Alerian briar they told you so. Not everyone is a kool aid drinking fan like me.:)

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
View attachment 290528

Here’s an example of a $12.50 pipe 1937-9.

The grain is spectacular.

It has a long, large ball 4 hole stinger.

Look at the satin shine of pre war natural rubber vulcanite, and that perfect fish tail bit.

And when Kaywoodie used Alerian briar they told you so. Not everyone is a kool aid drinking fan like me.:)
I really like it.
I have the same shape in a pre-war 7409B Thorn that is an excellent smoker as well, but it’s stinger was chopped somewhere in the last 85ish years.
Both pipes for less than one mass produced “budget” briar would cost at P&C or SPcom today.
That’s my kind of value😉BE43EDA9-430D-4B2D-A6D0-90D80F200889.jpeg