PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
You've convinced me. My teenage dreams of being a Navy pilot are well over, and thank God they didn't come true. (Rejected from flight school due to imperfect eyesight.)

Poor eyesight (20/200 without correction) dashed my dreams of the Air Force Academy in 1975.:)

It’s hard to accept that in fifty years the B-52, the basic heavy bomber of the United States Air Force is still flying and will be for many more years to come.

Someday the last manned warplane will fly it’s last mission.

Unless and until it does kids all over the world will dream of being a jet pilot in combat.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
You've convinced me. My teenage dreams of being a Navy pilot are well over, and thank God they didn't come true. (Rejected from flight school due to imperfect eyesight.)

Indeed.

I had freaky-good eyesight plus liked the 3D environment "thing", so took the preliminary tests to see if I qualified for flight school.

I passed, and then got pushed HARD to do it by everyone in my chain of command. Even got called in for a face-to-face sitdown with a full colonel.

I finally said no for unrelated reasons.

Later I discovered why: The Marines were running out of pilots because the first gen Harrier jets weren't ready for prime time and kept crashing.

Screen Shot 2024-01-15 at 3.10.09 PM.png

bobomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2023
Colombia
roberthunt.com
My educated guess is that you're looking at the rear view of the two seat version of a MiG 35, the upgraded version of a MiG 29. These are circuit breakers for the rear seat electronics located just behind the pilot. In the US Navy, the rear seat in the now retired F14 is for the RIO (radar intercept officer). In the Russian air force, I believe the designation is "weapons officer" but it's been a while since I've been in the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.