PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Siefour

Lurker
Oct 21, 2022
Hello everyone,
I just purchased my first Peterson online, and it finally arrived. I have been partial to a smooth finish but decided to try out a rusticated finish. When examining my new 606 Harp, I noticed that one side of the bowl near the top seemed to have a flat edge, but it seems like the rest of the bowl is proportional. Has anyone experienced this before? I just want to know if it will affect the pipe's lifespan before I start using it. It may be hard to see, but I am uploading a picture where it can be noticed on the top right side of the bowl. Thanks in advance for all the helpful insight!

Attachments

• 20221021_133106.jpg
    20221021_133106.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 53

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Agree with the above, just a matter of how it’s cut, side view would tell more, but guessing it looks fine from the side. If you bought it from an online retailer and it is going to bug you (and if it does that’s okay) just send it back and exchange it, the ones I order from would be happy to take it back.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Hello everyone,
I just purchased my first Peterson online, and it finally arrived. I have been partial to a smooth finish but decided to try out a rusticated finish. When examining my new 606 Harp, I noticed that one side of the bowl near the top seemed to have a flat edge, but it seems like the rest of the bowl is proportional. Has anyone experienced this before? I just want to know if it will affect the pipe's lifespan before I start using it. It may be hard to see, but I am uploading a picture where it can be noticed on the top right side of the bowl. Thanks in advance for all the helpful insight!
I just wanted to let you know, I believe your pipe is sandblasted, not rusticated.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Funny how aesthetics work. I actually really like the current Peterson rustications.
Went through all my pictures of pipes I smoked this year, found 3 rusticated Peterson. And I only smoke Peterson. Before these pipes, they had what looks like hound tooth pattern rustication. Then for year or two, maybe 3, they had what I have. Then the current one.

Little boring. But you are right. Personal preference.

IMAG1684-01.jpeg

PXL_20221024_223300323-02.jpeg

PXL_20221003_221857159-02.jpeg

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
As for the aesthetics of it, I wouldn’t appreciate something like that. But it sounds like your main concern was whether or not it would be an issue from a smoking standpoint.

If you’re ok with the aesthetics, then no problem.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Peterson’s Harp line only comes in smooth and sandblasted, so yours is likely sandblasted. Sandblasts can sometimes be a little odd in shape due to the sandblasting taking off more material in areas where the briar wood is softer.

That said, I’ve also seen some strangely straight-ish lines in Peterson smooth pipes before too, so maybe they cut off extra to avoid a sand pit or just slipped.

In this case any concern would most likely be around whether you’re ok with the looks of it.

Reactions: Siefour

Siefour

Lurker
Oct 21, 2022
I am glad I learned the difference between sandblasting and rustication in this thread, thanks all! This pipe ended up having a bigger problem, so it has been sent back, and I am awaiting a new one. The person drilling the air hole went too far and gouged the opposing wall inside the bowl. Should be getting my new pipe next week!