PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Have you cleaned the nozzle and area around it?
Not lately but a couple yrs ago when it started acting up, I’ve had it for over 20 yrs and many many thousands of lights, it’s time for a rebuild and seals, at one point 4 packs of smokes a day for years and this lighter lit 75% of them.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I did this as well. Always had horrible luck with the cartridges,;one wrong turn and the cartridge was shot.
Do we have anyone here that still breaks them down and works the repair kit magic on them? I’m sure the seals and everything is shot on mine.
😂 Literally the OP of this thread repairs them! That's kinda what this thread is about!

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
I have noticed, now that i use my dupont as a daily driver, that the amount of soot buildup is pretty intense. Ill usually do a pretty deep clean with water and qtips. Then follow that up with some flitz. Is there a way to keep the soot buildup to a minimum? Hard to work on the lighter when its just bleeding the fuel when the lid is open

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
I have noticed, now that i use my dupont as a daily driver, that the amount of soot buildup is pretty intense. Ill usually do a pretty deep clean with water and qtips. Then follow that up with some flitz. Is there a way to keep the soot buildup to a minimum? Hard to work on the lighter when its just bleeding the fuel when the lid is open
I only own large Line Ones (and only use Dupont fuel which burns quite clean). But on these if you unlatch the spring that holds the flint in place, that closes the nozzle so you can work at leisure. Hope this helps.

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
...if you unlatch the spring that holds the flint in place, that closes the nozzle so you can work at leisure....
On most L1s this is true. But gas cannot be cut on the L2s.

Flitz will take down your plating eventually. The plating material on the castle piece & the nozzle is thin. I wouldn't use it anywhere on the lighter. I know it says that it's safe for plating, but they are mainly talking about car bumpers which are usually a) thickly-plated & b) plated with super-hard chrome.

I also avoid using water. Instead I use 91% iso alcohol & a small clean paper towel patch/q-tip to lightly wipe away any loose build-up, & whatever sticks stays. For full cleaning during use, I clean the whole lighter with a couple clean paper towel patches & 91% iso, & then I use a connessiurs cloth for final polish.

To get off the stuff around the nozzle that sticks, it really should be disassembled & handled properly from there in a low-impact manner - no abrasive polishes or chemical strippers or ultrasonic cleaners.

😂 Literally the OP of this thread repairs them! That's kinda what this thread is about!
I maintain my own fleet, but...

...I don't work on other peoples units.

Not sure how you got that idea or why you presented it, but this thread is for Dupont lighter owners to post pics of & talk about their Dupont lighters.

Time for a new daily soon, I'm probably going to refresh & run this one:
IMG_0685.JPG
🔥

isaac

Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR

Flitz will take down your plating eventually. The plating material on the castle piece & the nozzle is thin. I wouldn't use it anywhere on the lighter. I know it says that it's safe for plating, but they are mainly talking about car bumpers which are usually a) thickly-plated & b) plated with super-hard chrome.

I also avoid using water. Instead I use 91% iso alcohol & a small clean paper towel patch/q-tip to lightly wipe away any loose build-up, & whatever sticks stays. For full cleaning during use, I clean the whole lighter with a couple clean paper towel patches & 91% iso, & then I use a connessiurs cloth for final polish.

To get off the stuff around the nozzle that sticks, it really should be disassembled & handled properly from there in a low-impact manner - no abrasive polishes or chemical strippers or ultrasonic cleaners.

Not sure how you got that idea or why you presented it, but this thread is for Dupont lighter owners to post pics of & talk about their Dupont lighters.

View attachment 186801
🔥
Going to stop using water and flitz. Thank you for the suggestions

isaac

Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR

View attachment 186801
🔥
How do you feel about jewelers cloths? Does that remove the plating too?

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
How do you feel about jewelers cloths? Does that remove the plating too?
I use Connoisseurs brand cloth after wiping the lighter with paper towel patches moistened with 91% iso alcohol. Sorry, I butchered the spelling of connoisseurs above. I banged something out & then searched to get the right spelling, & forgot to correct it. Connoisseurs cloth is definitely all cotton, with some glycol on it. The glycol helps lift tarnish & helps prevent it from building back as quickly. There may also be some polish on it, but if so, it's ultra fine & mild, & it's not listed on the safety data sheet. If it's there, it's not very abrasive like using polish out of a bottle. The dry cloth will pull tarnish off quickly, & the cloth stops taking much if any color once the area is clean, so they don't seem to pull up much if any plating once they've picked up the tarnish. Stuff like polishes & cleaners are usually too abrasive, or they chemically lift the precious metal away ionically. Basically reverse-plating. I've never burned through plating on my Duponts using the Connoisseurs cloths.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

Huh...That's Interesting.

The 4th post in this thread states otherwise....

But sorry if I misinterpreted something...

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
The 4th post in this thread states otherwise....
Not something I had been offering, & haven't been doing any "take-in" work prior to or since those. If anyone asks, I recommend that they find a factory-authorized servicer.

I believe he is servicing what he is selling. Not necessarily servicing for the sake of it.
Line1 with Pipe-Flame nozzle is my top choice for a daily.
I had a bigger collection but haven't been picking up much new, & don't have many units left that I want to part ways with.
Maybe I'll decide to let a couple go now & then.
The one I just posted above is going to be my next daily, once I refresh it.

This one is going to be a shelf-queen once I refresh it:
f16 1-50 updatedFW.JPG
🔥🔥🔥

Jgivoo

Lurker
Jan 17, 2023
I put this in a drawer 30:years ago because it leaked. now I’m looking to have it serviced.

Attachments

• 8A44E25E-0637-4A4B-BDA7-9D1AFB6F1A78.jpeg
    8A44E25E-0637-4A4B-BDA7-9D1AFB6F1A78.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 4
  • 97B7A84F-D401-41A1-8D63-A22826B947E3.jpeg
    97B7A84F-D401-41A1-8D63-A22826B947E3.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 60A86F54-69B1-4E8D-9D6E-0D33A692F11F.jpeg
    60A86F54-69B1-4E8D-9D6E-0D33A692F11F.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 693D7938-928A-4189-A7BA-A0A131F368FC.jpeg
    693D7938-928A-4189-A7BA-A0A131F368FC.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 566BCBC0-42E8-48C3-A3B2-D52344F3DA80.jpeg
    566BCBC0-42E8-48C3-A3B2-D52344F3DA80.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: EA-6B and isaac

Jgivoo

Lurker
Jan 17, 2023
In the interim, I would also like to thank EA-6B for taking the time to educate me on certain aspects of the lighter.
The flow of information and especially the people on these forums are what makes them invaluable

Again, Thank you.