Sablebrush Leaves Burbank, Hollywood Teeters: Coincidence????

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The writers and actors are in the streets picketing. The new Tom Cruise "Mission Impossible" movie is lagging in box office. We're headed toward streaming of grass growing, paint drying, and other reality TV plots.

Is anyone suspicious that Jesse has moved away from Burbank? To Oregon? Just a coincidence? I don't think so.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
nah it's like the weather. If anything Jess just looked at his calendar and said not this time. Like many big industry run by people who don't want to admit how lucky they are (in most cases just luck and in all a good dollop of luck), they get themselves into a situation where they have to be reminded harshly that it's a good idea to treat essential employees with a little bit of respect and compensation. The public has always been fickle cause they're made up of people and not automatons that just enjoy the same thing over and over indefinitely.
Imagine if pipe tobacco only was made in huge batches and only so many blends. And they thought everyone would keep buying the same basic thing every year while treating the blenders like crap. Something like this would happen to. I guess it's the nature of the industry.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The "Barbie" movie is the summer's blockbuster. Anything can happen now.
rotf
Well, it does have an Aussie hottie (???) in the title role
It must be a tough job simpering up to Ken 😵‍💫

But what do I know ?
One sister - who was a real tomboy growing up. And 2 sons. So Barbie didn't figure
But my 5yo granddaughter LOOOVES her Barbie dolls :oops:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
rotf
Well, it does have an Aussie hottie (???) in the title role
It must be a tough job simpering up to Ken 😵‍💫

But what do I know ?
One sister - who was a real tomboy growing up. And 2 sons. So Barbie didn't figure
But my 5yo granddaughter LOOOVES her Barbie dolls :oops:
It is getting better press than Oppenheimer. My pick for the summer is Last Voyage of the Demeter.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are a lot of layers involved with what's happening in Hollywood with regard to the strike and other issues. 30 years ago, a colleague defined the motion picture business as "high school with money". That's pretty accurate.

Another apt comparison would be France before the revolution. There's an aristocracy that considers itself above all considerations other than their wants and sharing the wealth isn't part of it. Whether this social structure will change in any meaningful way remains to be seen.

I love California, but it isn't tenable, given the state's failure to come to grips with its housing "crisis" which has been a growing crisis for going on 40 years. Housing costs are spiraling out of control.

It's been a long held belief that most of the homeless were either people with mental illnesses, or drug addicts. Turns out, after a couple of years of interviewing thousands of homeless people, the main cause isn't either of these. In a landmark report delivered a couple of months ago, it turns out that the vast majority became homeless because their income simply couldn't keep pace with the rising cost of shelter. Simple as that. A couple of hundred dollars a month difference in housing costs and they're in the street.

My neighborhood, along with many neighborhoods has been overrun with increasingly desperate homeless people, who will do what they have to do to survive. Until basic human necessities are met, nothing will get better.

Just yesterday I got an email from a neighbor a few doors down the street, who let me know that his window had been smashed by someone trying to break in, and the Nextdoor feed is increasingly filled with stories of theft, invasion, and assault.

Seems as good a time as any to get the hell out of Dodge.

So far, Oregon is beautiful, and I'm enjoying getting familiar with my area, and am looking forward to discovering more as time allows. People have been great. A lot of them are folks who left California decades ago. And in a perfect case of small world, the woman living in the townhouse next to mine is the widow of my high school US history teacher.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
The modern is displacing the traditional. It is inevitable. The digitization of movies, it seems, saves millions of dollars. The film industry doesn't give a shit if you go on unemployment. The system is becoming more and more rigid for the citizen, as opposed to the pool of political predators, who are the cancer of society.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I love California, but it isn't tenable, given the state's failure to come to grips with its housing "crisis" which has been a growing crisis for going on 40 years. Housing costs are spiraling out of control.

It's been a long held belief that most of the homeless were either people with mental illnesses, or drug addicts. Turns out, after a couple of years of interviewing thousands of homeless people, the main cause isn't either of these. In a landmark report delivered a couple of months ago, it turns out that the vast majority became homeless because their income simply couldn't keep pace with the rising cost of shelter. Simple as that. A couple of hundred dollars a month difference in housing costs and they're in the street.

Seems as good a time as any to get the hell out of Dodge.

So far, Oregon is beautiful, and I'm enjoying getting familiar with my area, and am looking forward to discovering more as time allows. People have been great. A lot of them are folks who left California decades ago. And in a perfect case of small world, the woman living in the townhouse next to mine is the widow of my high school US history teacher.
Jesse,
Pleased to hear you’re settling into your beautiful corner of the world

Unfortunately what is happening in California is also happening in New South Wales and Sydney in particular with regards to rising cost and unaffordability of housing and rentals.

As Australia’s most populous city, Sydney attracts a disproportionate number of immigrants, students and job-seekers. All needing housing.
A situation not helped by NIMBYs and council red tape and convoluted and outdated rules regarding building approvals

Yes, a similar tree change seems likely for us down the track.