PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ZaysPiping

Lurker
Mar 4, 2024
Gastonia, NC
So i did a salt treatment on 2 pipes and used salt in the shank and ofc the bowl. So will they never smoke sweet? i read more and seen ur supposed to block the shank first?

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
The salt is an absorbent, a place for dissolved tars and gunk to go, nothing more.
I remove stem (and clean separately), give the shank a good cleaning with brushes, qtips, cleaners, ream chamber if necessary-then put a fluffy cleaner in airway up to chamber, fill chamber with salt, and soak it with Everclear. Take care to position in such a manner as to not have solvent dribble out of bowl or shank or finish may get jacked.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
If charcoal and salt fail ream down to wood, then use 9/64 drill and drill out the stem airway. Most average airways are about that diameter. You might be more or less. I have machinist index so I usually start with one that fits and go larger one number at a time until I get a bit of wood. Pipe will be good as new...oh and watch you don't drill through the bottom of the pipe when you drill the stem out.

You can make a nice reamer from a spade bit ground down to match the hole shape

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
So i did a salt treatment on 2 pipes
So will they never smoke sweet? i read more and seen ur supposed to block the shank first?
If it is a well-loved estate, the shank may be clogged with accumulated tars and :poop:

Using small drill bits, jewellers screwdrivers or dental picks and a strong torchlight to clean out the shank saves a lot of time, effort and cleaners.

Cleaning the chamber is a breeze compared to a badly clogged shank .

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
If it is a well-loved estate, the shank may be clogged with accumulated tars and :poop:

Using small drill bits, jewellers screwdrivers or dental picks and a strong torchlight to clean out the shank saves a lot of time, effort and cleaners.

Cleaning the chamber is a breeze compared to a badly clogged shank .
Amen! My fleabay meer was my first estate after freshening up my dad’s pipes (they weren’t bad when put in the garage 40+ years ago).
It was horrible! No proper drill bits, I had to cut the end of heavy trimmer line into a “bit”…

Reactions: OzPiper

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
One more thing i found helped, I bought a couple small glass eyedroppers and use those to put the alcohol on the cotton balls, the first time i tried it (on a beater pipe i paid $10 for) i dripped alcohol on the side of the bowl and the finish got toasted, so the eyedropper really helps.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
So i did a salt treatment on 2 pipes and used salt in the shank and ofc the bowl. So will they never smoke sweet? i read more and seen ur supposed to block the shank first?
You can use salt if you wish. However, I’ve had great results with cotton balls instead. Once you’ve sanded/reamed out the bowl, stuff the bowl with cotton then use your Everclear or whatever. Block the shank with Q-tips or pipe cleaners. Works very well. ☕

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
One more thing i found helped, I bought a couple small glass eyedroppers and use those to put the alcohol on the cotton balls, the first time i tried it (on a beater pipe i paid $10 for) i dripped alcohol on the side of the bowl and the finish got toasted, so the eyedropper really helps.
I use a 30ml syringe (farm supply stores sell them much cheaper/easier than pharmacies) after fading stain on my first attempt.

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
I start with hot water, then move onto the alcohol with a cotton ball in the bowl, and as previously suggested and egg carton is my go to for keep the bowl at the right angle. Once the alcohol soaks for 24 hrs I scurb it out then give it a soak with a barrel strength bourbon which adds a lot of sweetness to the briar.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
There are various methods used. Salt ( Kosher NO iodine ), cotton balls, activated charcoal, and damp ground coffee. I've never found one that worked all the time every time with every pipe. Sometimes one technique works better than the others. Sometimes it requires a few "procedures" of one technique to get the desired results. Sometimes one technique gets things well under way and a different one completes the job. YMMV.

How far you "need" to go depends on you. FWIW you can go too far. In this I mean clean and absorb so much that the "freshly cleaned" pipe almost needs to be "broken in" again.

I've used all the above techniques and have never had an issue with any of them.

For anyone interested there is a series of videos on the Briar Blues website, on "cleaning" a pipe from start to finish. There are 7 videos in the series and some are a tad long. Video production is not the best, but you will get the basic idea. There is a salt / alcohol treatment shown and one with a retort. With the retort I did not edit out all the basic mistakes made getting things to work properly.

Some may find it helpful. Other will find the techniques basic OR different than what they do and disagree with the methods. As stated YMMV.