PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Care to elaborate about which larger “houses” closed up shop? I’m drawing a blank.

I was thinking McClelland and Dunhill (although Peterson took up Dunhill blends). There are others but these two are off the top of my head.

• Wow
Reactions: woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
OK, McClelland wasn't large, and they shut down four years ago. Dunhill stopped producing tobacco decades ago. The name lived on through licensing agreements, the last of which was with STG, who produced all the "Dunhill" tobacco in Denmark. "Peterson" also no longer exsists as a corporate entity, but only lives on as a pipe tobacco brand owned by STG and a pipe company owned by Laudisi. To my knowledge, Peterson never produced pipe tobacco.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
How are the seals on the tins in this round? Last drop I bought a handful of tins and they were not sealed at all. They were wrapped in cellophane and the lid was so loose it came right off

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Same as last drop
Thanks.
To be clear I am not talking trash about GH or SG. I am a big fan of their products and they represent a large portion of my cellar. I just don't want to buy their tins until I am more confident in the seal arriving intact.

Reactions: FurCoat

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Thanks.
To be clear I am not talking trash about GH or SG. I am a big fan of their products and they represent a large portion of my cellar. I just don't want to buy their tins until I am more confident in the seal arriving intact.
I understand. I have been sealing my tins in mylar. The 1792 came dry enough to smoke right out of the tin. I only had to relight once which is unusual for this blend. I will also add that the amount of topping is nowhere near past releases which may have something to do with that.

Reactions: seanv

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never cellared one blend without first test tasting it. The one time I did it I ordered 25 tins of Cabbies Mixture. I figured a vaper from SG had to be great. I didn't do my normal test tin and found that Cabbies has way too much red tobacco for me.

Lucky for me I screwed up with a popular and well made blend as the demand for Cabbies is out there.

Anyone who thinks they should cellar something without first taste testing it, is making a mistake. Now if you screw up like me and got lucky, no harm no foul.

I forgot to mention, I have never taken my tobacco in tins and then jarred it. In over 20 plus years I have yet to have a tin fail. I think you guys must beat the shit out of your tins to get them to fail.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
How are the seals on the tins in this round? Last drop I bought a handful of tins and they were not sealed at all. They were wrapped in cellophane and the lid was so loose it came right off
It was 50/50 for the SG tins I just got. Any that didn’t still feel “sucked-in” got jarred up. April/May 2022 date codes, FWIW.

@cigrmaster, if memory serves, you haven’t bought any tins since 2013 or so, so you wouldn’t have been affected by the recent tin issue. It’s a real thing.

Reactions: seanv

JEdwards

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2022
Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Earth
I had 4 SG tins from April of this year and never checked the seal. Because of this thread I’ve Just now I sealed each in a food grade vacuum sealer. Hopefully they aren’t too dry already…

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It was 50/50 for the SG tins I just got. Any that didn’t still feel “sucked-in” got jarred up. April/May 2022 date codes, FWIW.

@cigrmaster, if memory serves, you haven’t bought any tins since 2013 or so, so you wouldn’t have been affected by the recent tin issue. It’s a real thing.
You are correct. The last tins I bought tins were 25 of Best Brown from Jrcigars and they were like 9.25 a tin. That was back in 2012.

Reactions: ThermionicScott