PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
So the other night I loaded a Castello with Watch City's Rouxgaroux. I hadn't much liked it when I first tried it maybe three months ago, so I set it aside. This time I was stunned at how the virginias had that wonderful sweetness that virginias sometimes bring. Terrific smoke. The next evening I tried it again, also in a Castello, and had a much different experience. None of that sweetness came forward, but plenty of pepper, maybe the perique. Not unpleasant exactly, just a much different taste, and for me less enjoyable.. These two Castellos were likely made within a few years of each other, if that matters. Anyone out there have a similar experience ? I don't understand how the difference could be so stark.

Reactions: seanv
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I do think that what has previously been smoked in a pipe can affect the next blend. What you’ve eaten or drunk before smoking can change what your taste buds perceive. Your mood, or what happened to you on each day in terms of stress is another variable. It’s not that surprising to hear you had a different experience days apart. Maybe try a few more bowls in the same pipes again to see if the differences are consistent.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Nobody has the definitive answer to this, but I'm of the mind that myriad subtle factors play into these kinds of differences, and that sometimes the variables align to create a memorable smoke in a way that you can't just manufacture at will.

The first time I smoked Marlin Flake, I was beside myself in ecstasy. I was fully persuaded that I had found my new favorite tobacco. I raved to my wife that I had. That I had never known a tobacco could taste like this.

Every bowl of Marlin Flake since then has been a disappointment. It's not even in my top 10.
Not that it's a bad tobacco. It's a good tobacco. Just not in my top 10.

What was it, that first time? How it interplayed with an unrepeatable concoction of ghosts? How long it had been since I'd had my last pipe? What oils were still in my mouth from some food or drink? A rare phenomenon in my body chemistry? A rare mental state?

Who knows? I don't know. But I've stopped assuming that these things can be cracked up to the pipe. That doesn't seem to hold true consistently.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Nobody has the definitive answer to this, but I'm of the mind that myriad subtle factors play into these kinds of differences, and that sometimes the variables align to create a memorable smoke in a way that you can't just manufacture at will.

The first time I smoked Marlin Flake, I was beside myself in ecstasy. I was fully persuaded that I had found my new favorite tobacco. I raved to my wife that I had. That I had never known a tobacco could taste like this.

Every bowl of Marlin Flake since then has been a disappointment. It's not even in my top 10.
Not that it's a bad tobacco. It's a good tobacco. Just not in my top 10.

What was it, that first time? How it interplayed with an unrepeatable concoction of ghosts? How long it had been since I'd had my last pipe? What oils were still in my mouth from some food or drink? A rare phenomenon in my body chemistry? A rare mental state?

Who knows? I don't know. But I've stopped assuming that these things can be cracked up to the pipe. That doesn't seem to hold true consistently.
+1

Been there for sure. 😄

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I do think that what has previously been smoked in a pipe can affect the next blend. What you’ve eaten or drunk before smoking can change what your taste buds perceive. Your mood, or what happened to you on each day in terms of stress is another variable. It’s not that surprising to hear you had a different experience days apart. Maybe try a few more bowls in the same pipes again to see if the differences are consistent.
This. While with cigarettes, everything was consistent. However, with pipe tobacco, various factors from mood and stress level to food or weather seemingly have an effect on how a bowl "hits".

When in doubt, a trusty standard like Half and Half acts as a friend in need that rarely disappoints. Of course not properly cleaning the pipe may play some role, but at the end of the day if a smoke isn't "hitting" right I put it down and come back to it later. It's like when the radio is playing a song I'm not fond of ...

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Yup, I’ve noticed certain blends just seem better in certain pipes so I just go with it. Seems like the blend chooses the pipe or vice-versa. Nothing to do with me, lol. Has seemingly nothing to do with the size or shape of the chamber, often in disregard of commonly held beliefs. Or the cut of tobacco. Probably black magic but could be alien interference. Meh, it’s all okay.

Reactions: yanoJL and seanv

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
This is the mystical part of pipes.
And part of why I love it. I get frustrated AND fascinated by the unpredictability.

In part because of this, when I find a blend and pipe that are in sync, I try to ride the wave as long as possible and smoke just that combo for awhile.

Normally I switch pipes and blends daily.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I probably have one of the worst palates on this forum, but some recent experiences have made me a believer in "ghosts", even with blends that aren't strongly flavored. It's like those old anti-promiscuity messages we got in high school, today's bowl of tobacco is sleeping with everything else your pipe smoked before. puffy

Even switching between relatively pure Virginias, I've noticed needing to take 3 bowls or so in the same pipe before the new blend is truly speaking for itself. It makes me reluctant to form opinions on a blend the first time I smoke it, and I now try to add that caveat whenever I talk about a blend I'm trying.

Last edited:

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Bowl sizes were about the same. Nothing to do with ghosts. Only tobaccos I ever smoke are vapers or straight va. Good to see others have had same or similar experiences. When I sit down to smoke, I never know how the end experience will be. I can increase the odds by using quality tobacco and quality pipes, but there still seem to be mystical variables.