PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzzi101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 18, 2019
California, USA
I’ve recently purchased a Castello estate pipe that’s been refurbished with the black coating on the inside of the bowl.

The pipe beautiful, but has the taste of a bitter charcoal, and I’m thinking it’s the coating on the bowl which made it look nice, but taste bad.

I’m considering sanding out the inside of the bowl to bring the pipe to its natural briar, as a new Castello would be.

Has anyone sanded out the inside of a bowl?
What did you use to ensure smooth, consistent finish?

I’m worried about ruining this beautiful pipe with the sanding so not sure what to do.

Maybe the bitter charcoal taste will subside after a few more bowls?

I’m on bowl number 3 and not much improvement.

I appreciate and advice or insight on this one.

Thank you kindly

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I sanded out (well, most of it) the coating of a new Tom Eltang recently.
The 1st smoke out of it (pre-sanding) was putrid :poop:

The second smoke was a lot better, with an intermittent off taste.
Hopefully it will keep improving with subsequent smokes.

I really did not want to dedicate that pipe to Latakia blends. ?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Alternatively smoke a few bowls of Five Brothers burley shag out of it. That might just scare the remaining coating out of the pipe and you’ll have a decent cake layer already forming.

Reactions: anotherbob

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I've used emery cloth to lightly sand out some bowl coatings on new pipes. I've also used a damp paper towel and both have worked well to remove most of the coating. I haven't gone all the way to briar with either method. That seemed to get rid of the taste.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yep, just lightly sanded out the bowls of three estate pipes like this on Sunday. Works like a charm.
Estate pipes are unlikely to have any trace of bowl coating, so reaming and sanding are pretty much the main options for trimming that down.

Most bowl coatings will yield to water; if no joy, then alcohol, and last resort, sanding.

Reactions: huckleberry

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Estate pipes are unlikely to have any trace of bowl coating, so reaming and sanding are pretty much the main options for trimming that down.

Most bowl coatings will yield to water; if no joy, then alcohol, and last resort, sanding.
Yeah, I don't have a reamer. Actually, a magic eraser and some alcohol worked great for me. Not actually sanding.

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
Wipe it out with a paper towel wet with water or one wet with Bourbon, or just sand it out. A pipe isn't as magical as some think, it's just a piece of wood intended to build a fire within.

If you think sanding will remove too much wood, wrap a piece of 220 grit around your finger and sand lengthwise on a popsicle stick. Time how long it takes to sand the popsicle stick into.

Last edited:
Reactions: uzzi101

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
refurbished you say. I can't help but wonder if the coating is just what they do or if there is something that isn't right underneath the coating. I'd personally just smoke through it. But I never get too much nasty from coatings anyways so....

Reactions: uzzi101
Status
Not open for further replies.