PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BingBong

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
First post, new member.

I'm a bit of an old codger, 66, smoked Three Nuns for years but branched out a couple of years ago.

And so, Sarome pipes. I thought I should put a word in. I bought one about 18 months ago as a back-up to a failing Dr Plumb. It is a "Cambridge", which has a prince-style stem. At the time, the inside of the bowl was varnish; burning in was fairly unpleasant, but I recently bought another and am pleased to report that the inside of the new one is carbon coated - haven't used yet, though.

I don't use filters, so the filter chamber works as a moisture/tar trap - tar collects at the furthest points inside the trap on both the stem and bowl sides, easily cleaned with a bit of twisted kitchen roll.

As far as my experience goes, these are great pipes! I actually have a Peterson Dracula which I use less, the Sarome is my utility pipe. In the last week, I've been smoking SG Cabbies, SG St James Flake, St Bruno (!), some old Dunhill Elizabethan and a little Germain Brown Flake in the Sarome - and thoroughly enjoyed the nuances of each and every one.

As I say, with the coated bowl, they seem to have upped their game - but I have had no complaints with my original. It is a very pleasant, easily maintained, reliable tool, from which I've had many a rewarding smoke. The new one was £35; you really can't argue with that.

Hope that's useful, for anyone wondering.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hah! Arse n al..... Anyway, welcome! Please consider the New Members Into thread.
My son and I were in N London in Dec to take in some games at the nicest ever footie stadium.

Reactions: simong

BingBong

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Not a gooner, no, but possibly the only long time Palace fan in a 5 mile radius!

Three Nuns, well, it used to be the thing for me way back, until the changes and Kentucky swapped in, Perique out. Don't get me wrong, it was still a pleasant smoke in its own right, but I called it Two Nuns because it isn't what it was. I also became dissatisfied with pouches of ribbon cut that were all we had. I spent 6 months solid with HH Latakia Flake after that, then some old tins of HH Acadian Perique, then off into SG land.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Hah! Arse n al..... Anyway, welcome! Please consider the New Members Into thread.
My son and I were in N London in Dec to take in some games at the nicest ever footie stadium.
Better than the Rinky Dincks at Tottenham Hotspur, prancing around the pitch in their Lilly whites! 😁

North London derby tomorrow! Will I be able to return here & take the piss or shall I have to close up my iPad, retreat & seek solace down the pub!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yep the Derby is coming up, and I have only hope at this time. No real feel for which Spurs team will show up.
Let's hope for a great game!