PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SaxonX

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2021
Staffordshire Moorlands GB
IMG_2549.jpegHi all, I have just bought and ebay estate pipe a cased bulldog, it doesn't appear to be a brand but it does have SP on the silver band. I bought it as one to restore and have got it cleaned, restained and polished and its looking promising.....however...

I have an issue in as much as the stem is an acrylic? one with a thread moulded on the end. It screws nicely into the bowl but when tight it sits at an angle rather than lining up with the square/diamond end of the pipe....its only a bit but I need to somehow bring it back into line. Is there a trick or technique to do this any one can share please?

Reactions: jhowell

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
View attachment 240809Hi all, I have just bought and ebay estate pipe a cased bulldog, it doesn't appear to be a brand but it does have SP on the silver band. I bought it as one to restore and have got it cleaned, restained and polished and its looking promising.....however...

I have an issue in as much as the stem is an acrylic? one with a thread moulded on the end. It screws nicely into the bowl but when tight it sits at an angle rather than lining up with the square/diamond end of the pipe....its only a bit but I need to somehow bring it back into line. Is there a trick or technique to do this any one can share please?

Timing is a bitch. Setting it right might be simple, might be a PITA. Depends on several things.

Take the stem and stummel apart and take more pics. Close up(ish) and oblique angles, so we can see what techniques were used at the time of manufacture (or repair).

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
If that’s an amber stem…. Things can sideways quick fast and in a hurry. If it’s catalin or some other Bakelite derivative your a little safer. Is it a bone tenon?

I was thinking that might be amber as well and am hoping the original poster doesn’t rush into things. @georged ’s approach of gathering more info before offering suggestions is the way to go.

Reactions: MattRVA and SaxonX

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
View attachment 240809Hi all, I have just bought and ebay estate pipe a cased bulldog, it doesn't appear to be a brand but it does have SP on the silver band. I bought it as one to restore and have got it cleaned, restained and polished and its looking promising.....however...

Coats of clear fingernail polish will sometimes bring a stem into time. "Hole reinforcers" for notebook paper are also ideal and work well to re-clock a stem - they have the advantage of not altering the pipe and come in both mylar and paper - so you have 2 different thicknesses to shim with...

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I was thinking that might be amber as well and am hoping the original poster doesn’t rush into things. @georged ’s approach of gathering more info before offering suggestions is the way to go.
Your right. If its amber, totally different strategies are needed. I had a bakelite that responded okay, but…

SaxonX

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2021

Reactions: kcghost

SaxonX

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2021
Three additional photos as suggested, thanks for all the feedback so far, much appreciated! I hoped it was real amber but suspect that isn't the case....although it is in very good unchewed condition.....IMG_7626.jpegIMG_7625.jpegIMG_7624.jpeg

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Quite interesting opportunity to test your skills :) Overturned stems are a pain.
Best wait for George's answer, but my best guess is this a bone tenon.
My approach would ( and was once or twice ) be to warm it gently over a heatgun ( or hairdryer ), the glue will possibly soften up.
Turn in the stem properly and wait for the glue to dry.
Or gently take it out the tenon to clean and reglue with a good quality water resistent wood glue.
Then adjust and wait for the glue to dry .
I hope this makes sense; English is not my first language.
If this works your uncles name is Bob :)
As said; best wait for George. He's the man; this is only my two cents, though this method worked for me.
Lovely bulldog pipe bro. Stem is in fine condition, you might consider some "amber test".

Last edited:
Reactions: SaxonX

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
the tenon looks like bone to me,as stated be careful they are fragile,so is amber.
Personally I would go for the hole reinforcer trick,if the stem is indeed amber.That way no damage will occur.

SaxonX

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2021
Quite interesting opportunity to test your skills :) Overturned stems are a pain.
Best wait for George's answer, but my best guess is this a bone tenon.
My approach would ( and was once or twice ) be to warm it gently over a heatgun ( or hairdryer ), the glue will possibly soften up.
Turn in the stem properly and wait for the glue to dry.
Or gently take it out the tenon to clean and reglue with a good quality water resistent wood glue.
Then adjust and wait for the glue to dry .
I hope this makes sense; English is not my first language.
If this works your uncles name is Bob :)
As said; best wait for George. He's the man; this is only my two cents, though this method worked for me.
Lovely bulldog pipe bro. Stem is in fine condition, you might consider some "amber test".
Thanks...that will be a challenge but I see what you are saying - I will wait for the concensus and go from there as you say....I noticed the stem is actually a little loose too but imagine that will tighten with smoking and moisture so don't think I will try and adjust that bit yet

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Thanks...that will be a challenge but I see what you are saying - I will wait for the concensus and go from there as you say....I noticed the stem is actually a little loose too but imagine that will tighten with smoking and moisture so don't think I will try and adjust that bit yet
I suspect the stem might fit tightly when the tenon is adjusted.
If not, mending this takes an entirely different approach. To let grime and moisture do the job would not be my first choice.

Last edited: