Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
My summer frequency drops way down. Like 0-1 bowls per day. During the fall I start to pick it up a little more. And in winter, I smoke around 5-7 bowls per day. It helps me survive the crushing weight in my soul that comes with dead foliage cold air.

I have no idea what my rate is in spring. Springtime in Central KY is the most bipolar weather you can imagine. 75° one day. Snowing the next. I go from half naked and elated to weeping in front of my fireplace every 12 hours.

You’re welcome for that visual.

So what’s your frequency, if it changes at all?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
you are not like me on these things. I rejoice in fall favorite time of the year and winter is mostly great. The weather doesn't do much to my smoking unless it's absolutely insane to be out. Like one of the last times I didn't smoke my pipe the wind was so fierce I was afraid it might rip the pipe from my hand. Of course once I couldn't smoke it calmed down, because the weather here hates me and tries to ruin my day (like the other day totally calm and then when I would get the lighter up and ready to spark the wind would start up and wait till I put the lighter down.

blackpowderpiper

Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I have a smoking room in my house so my frequency is independent of weather conditions. I do prefer to smoke outside but the heat/humidity associated with southeastern summers make it very unpleasant. As I get older, I have began enjoying winter more. Nothing like kicking back next to the wood stove after a cold day and enjoying a pipe full of good tobacco.

dctune

I suppose I should’ve also noted: I also smoke inside. Almost exclusively. My wife is the most laid back woman in the world. I’m very fortunate she doesn’t run me out of the house. And my fave weather is 90+ and humid. Seriously. People think I’m nuts when I tell them that. But it’s just true. I love summer. I love the heat. I despise the cold. You’d think I’d smoke MORE in the summer due to being outside as much as possible. I guess I’m just smoke mainly when I’m “stuck” indoors.

And while I don’t love fall like most folks, I do find that is the season when I most enjoy smoking outdoors.

I work from home a great deal. I’m sitting here working now, smoking a bowl of MM965, sneaking glances out the window at the pool, just wishing I could blow off work and go splash around like 8-year-old. I’m 43, and I still do a flip when I first hop in the pool. It’s not as athletic as it used to be, but it’s still stupid fun. ?

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
I am one of those strange individuals who loves the cold winter, even the bitter cold. I smoke exclusively outside. Thus my frequency increases to about 1-2x per week during the Fall and winter, and maybe once a month during the summer. I find it absolutely exhilarating to smoke bundled up against the cold. I gear up with, amongst other items, a down feather smoking vest; and the briar warms my hands. It is as close to heaven for me on this side of glory. ☃️

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I smoke outside only - front verandah mostly, sometimes back patio. Under cover.

I dislike and I'm intolerant of heat and high humidity, despite growing up in The tropics (Malaysia) for the first 15 years of my life.
So a really hot, humid day will see me scurrying back into the air-conditioned cool of the house.
That happens only 2-3 times a year (for a weekend smoker, like me)

We don't really have cold days in Sydney. A typical "cold" winter's afternoon temperature will be 12-14centigrade (55-57.5 Fahrenheit).
Quite comfortable with 1-2 extra layers of clothes.

We're very lucky with the weather in Sydney.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
My summer frequency drops way down. Like 0-1 bowls per day. During the fall I start to pick it up a little more. And in winter, I smoke around 5-7 bowls per day. It helps me survive the crushing weight in my soul that comes with dead foliage cold air.

I have no idea what my rate is in spring. Springtime in Central KY is the most bipolar weather you can imagine. 75° one day. Snowing the next. I go from half naked and elated to weeping in front of my fireplace every 12 hours.

You’re welcome for that visual.

So what’s your frequency, if it changes at all?
Although I'm never more than a bowl a day, I would say that my frequency is the complete opposite - probably because of the climate. Since I only smoke outside, I take advantage of the summer weather to be smoking on the back porch or outside - maybe four or five times a week. The fall is another beautiful time to smoke. But when winter hits, if I'm smoking outside, I'm smoking in the snow - and quite a bit of it. That being said, I do smoke in the winter as well, but only down to around -5C (it normally gets down to -20C or colder).

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I am one of those strange individuals who loves the cold winter, even the bitter cold. I smoke exclusively outside. Thus my frequency increases to about 1-2x per week during the Fall and winter, and maybe once a month during the summer. I find it absolutely exhilarating to smoke bundled up against the cold. I gear up with, amongst other items, a down feather smoking vest; and the briar warms my hands. It is as close to heaven for me on this side of glory. ☃️
I agree about that - getting on my winter coat and scarf, sitting in a chair that I have outside of the snow, it's a wonderful, peaceful time to smoke. Although, don't t try using a butane lighter - unless you're keeping it warm in a pocket.